BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aioros
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well rear Yellow Stuff brake pads have about 4-3mm left on them and rear rotors Centric High Carbon were changed last year (30k miles of use)
So i decided to search & shop around for brake pads and rotors. I found the Power Stop Z26 brake pads in amazon for $37, pretty good price huh? :)
Also, I got Power Stop rear rotors (drilled and slotted) for $90 a set of 2 (yes, both of them for 90 bucks with shipping included) at Rockauto...not too shabby ;)
Before I start getting questions, comments and criticism about my choices, I would like to say its the first time buying any of those items. I hope they pay off good and work better then previous brake pads & rotors I've used before.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Wow rock auto still has them on clearance? I remember seeing them more than 6 months ago for the same price.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kind of confusing... can you confirm you got 2 rotors for $35 or its priced individually? Rock Auto says they are sold in packs of 2 but priced as single?

Sold in packs of 2; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Kind of confusing... can you confirm you got 2 rotors for $35 or its priced individually? Rock Auto says they are sold in packs of 2 but priced as single?

Sold in packs of 2; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack
Means you are getting 2 rotors, and each rotor will cost you $35, for a total of $90. They are sold in pairs only, as most people never put one rotor on a car, but rather always a pair.

Jim

·
Registered
256 Posts
Means you are getting 2 rotors, and each rotor will cost you $35, for a total of $90. They are sold in pairs only, as most people never put one rotor on a car, but rather always a pair.

Jim
Yeah I just added them to my cart and added 2 automatically.

Great deal! But I think I will opt for Hawk Pads if available

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Yeah I just added them to my cart and added 2 automatically.

Great deal! But I think I will opt for Hawk Pads if available
Have had Hawk pads on my V-max, and now have powerstop on the font of the bmw. Both are GREAT pads. The z26 are nearly dust free, but do lose just a tad of initial bite. Hawks are like throwing out the anchor!!!

It's a win/win

Jim

·
aioros
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have had Hawk pads on my V-max, and now have powerstop on the font of the bmw. Both are GREAT pads. The z26 are nearly dust free, but do lose just a tad of initial bite. Hawks are like throwing out the anchor!!!

It's a win/win

Jim
Which Hawk pads are those?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Forget power stop... Unless you enjoy squealing, groaning and rattling over bumps. Their rear pads fit like crap and their pad compounds squeal like a stuck pig.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Forget power stop... Unless you enjoy squealing, groaning and rattling over bumps. Their rear pads fit like crap and their pad compounds squeal like a stuck pig.
StopTech are a step up and for rotors, they use Centric blanks. I do like the EBC pads and Hawk as well. Some of the Hawk pads create a lot of dust though, unless they're ceramics. IMO, a great set of pads create more stopping power than any rotor will, unless it's a Big Brake kit for mega bucks. I attached the EBC chart, just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
And before anyone says the rattles, squeaks and groans weren't the power stop pads...

I took them off today, only 3k miles of squeaking, groaning and clanking use. Replaced with Duralast pads. All noises gone. The Power Stop pads used clips on the inner pads that were half the size of normal clips. Pathetic.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Huh, who'd of thought Autozone brake pads would be better, but glad you found something. A friend of mine had some trouble with a set of Duralast front brakes (set). I looked them up out of curiosity and this popped up. Hopefully this isn't a "thing" any longer!!

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AutoZ...e-failure-causes-auto-accident-with-se-765914

Not being critical, but I thought you had mentioned EBC pads and Hawk as well. Duralast would be quite a departure from those types of performance pads that are designed for great stopping power. My thing is whatever works. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I never mentioned EBC or Hawk. Personally I don't like either. I've tried their different compounds and I was never happy on the street. I've been using duralast brakes on all my cars for 10 years and have never had an issue. Quiet, low dust and good bite.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I never mentioned EBC or Hawk. Personally I don't like either. I've tried their different compounds and I was never happy on the street. I've been using duralast brakes on all my cars for 10 years and have never had an issue. Quiet, low dust and good bite.
It was probably someone else in the post. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Also, the guy that wrote that ripoff report is full of it. Blaming his Pads for his ABS not kicking in. He either installed new pads with bad calipers or a leak or something. Anyone that believes his story knows very little about how brakes work.

·
Under the lift arms
13,019 Posts
Brembo and Akiebono is my weapon of choice, No dust (thats what i care about)

but this next time *as my rotors (brembo) got about 3 sets of pads use on them and are wasted)

Im going to get the amazon speical... see how a 30$ rotor holds up to a 90$ rotor...

·
Registered
883 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts