BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i have got a new warning for the rear brake pads on my X1, i assume they have worn and they need changing. I have done 18,000 miles and didn't think they would wear this quick. My car is a lease and I assumed they would be covered by my lease/maintenance agreement but when I took it to my local BMW dealership they said it wasn't covered and it would cost $925!! I was pretty shocked and left with the car fairly quickly. There must be a cheaper way to fix this, my two year lease actually ends in about 3 weeks so I'd rather not have to pay a big repair bill now. What would a reasonable estimate be to replace the rear brake pads, or can it simply be reset? Appreciate any halp and guidance on this.
All the best
Stu

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,054 Posts
It can’t be reset without replacement of the sensor/brake pads. The sensor is cut when the brake pads wear too thin which is what illuminates the warning.
As far as cheaper options you can call around and find a dealership that’s opted into the “value service” program but I’m unsure if X1 is available for the program. You can also find an Indy OR ask the dealer to just replace the brake pads and MEASURE the rotors. Most times they do pads/rotors/sensor to minimize any potential comeback issues from vibrations or anything but it’s likely your rotors are over minimum spec and technically just needs pads.
At 18k miles it’s not uncommon. X1 and X2 for some reason wear rear brake pads pretty fast and BMW uses a soft compound for a good pedal feel and responsiveness. On all models the brakes are doing things your not even aware of like applying for torque vectoring or applying gently in the rain to dry your rotors incase you have the need for a panic stop.
that being said as I mentioned X1/X2 do seem to munch brakes faster than many other models. Most of the time too one pad is worn more than the other without a caliper or slide issue.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just have an indy shop (or do it yourself) replace the pads and sensor only unless they find there is some crazy wear on the rotors. I would be amazed if they charged you more than $400 for the job. The retail price of the pads is around $125, and the sensor around $30.

My 2017 X1 has 55K on it and I have yet to replace the rears. The fronts were replaced because the driver side caliper was not retracting properly, and resulted in uneven pad wear. It set off the sensor, so I looked at the pads and showed the pictures to the dealer. They replaced the front pads and that caliper under warranty.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,359 Posts
Just pop a new sensor on the wheel, tuck it up under. reset the brake warning.

JK

Replace sensor and pad, about $180 in parts for bmw. An hour at a shop, but theyll prolly want 2

Call around, you're shopping by price alone, in this situation. IMO

·
Registered
617 Posts
"AKEBONO EUR1892" ceramic pads complete with wear new sensor...$58 + about $8 shipping on Rock Auto...call around and get a shop that will install owner supplied parts...(y)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Looks like the 2019 X1 is not in BMWs Value Service program. Too bad. FWIW my 2014 X1 and a complete rear brake job (pads, rotors, sensor) is just over $400.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,359 Posts
Looks like the 2019 X1 is not in BMWs Value Service program. Too bad. FWIW my 2014 X1 and a complete rear brake job (pads, rotors, sensor) is just over $400.
We (BF) seems to overlook the BMW Value Service program....

If you have an OK relationship with your SA, having a short chat might surpirse you... "Say, I see you guys do the rear brakes under the value service for an XXX for only $yyy. Anyway you could to that for my ZZZ??" See where it goes. Saying "I dont mind BMW service and like having a relationship, etc etc". Nobody's gonna get offended....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts