BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

On changing the rear discs last week I noticed driver side rear coil had broken, known problem I understand.

I have a replacement to fit, so looking for advice on best approach.

The use of the scissor jack looks straightforwards - can this be done on the X3 ??

I know I need to remove brake wear sensor first, anything else ???

Appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
267 Posts
I replaced both springs on my 06 X3 last year.The scissor worked fairly good,but if you undo
the shock at the bottom a long pry bar will help you get the spring in & out.I hope you are doing both sides as they tend to both braak.I went with the Lajofor springs instead of the BMW crap.

·
Anti-Hack
5,128 Posts
Removing the lower shock bolt and either stand on the control arm or use a big pry bar should work nicely. Probably easier than finagling a jack in there.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Anyone else use spring compressors (tool) too? I have for other cars, but not the X3 (yet, hopefully ever). Got to be careful with them coil springs though!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Managed to get the old spring out no problem. On examination it had broken at both the top and bottom - and was about an inch shorter than replacement.

I'm struggling to get the replacement in, just don't seem to be able to get enough space to get it in...

Ive tried the scissor jack, however seems like drop link/ anti roll bar is restricting travel...

Pretty stuck at this stage :cry:

G

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success :)

Didn't need to take off any other bolts / connections.

Just placed scissor jack in front off where spring would sit and extended as far as I could go.

Slipped in spring from rear of car positioning top first and then levering bottom - I used long screwdrivers to position bottom of spring, keeping fingers well away.

Once in I was able to twist in to final position.

The old spring had broken at top and bottom !! I replaced it with non BMW part for 60 euro.

Thermostat next weekend

Yeah - thanks all,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I completed this task today. I found one broken spring on my recent winter to summer tire change. I ordered new springs (which were hard to find for my sport suspension), new spring rubbers, and new shocks. I started on what I thought was the good side. Turns out both springs were broken. I did not need the rubbers, but they went in with the new springs since I had them. I did, however, need new shock bump stops. They are on order, and will R&R the shocks when these parts arrive.
I used the factory scissor jack on the inboard side of the suspension, and the springs needed very little leverage to seat.
This project went easier than I expected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need supplier for 2009 X3 e83 rear coil springs for sport suspension

Hi there
Can you help me by supplying the place where you ordered the rear springs.
I cant find them anywhere.
I live in Canada and i have the sport suspension model
Do you have the OEM numbers for the spring.

Thanks so much
John Andrews

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just finished doing the front and rear pads and rotors (discs) and noticed that one rear coil spring is busted on the very bottom.

The pads were fine but the rotors were not. Went with a Brembo kit (rotors and pads).

brakes0.jpg
brakes 1.jpg

I had issues with one front carriage bolt head getting stripped while trying to remove it. I replaced it and noticed the new carriage bolt was black and the head was a different size (used BMW same part number).

brakes00.jpg

The broken coils is hard to see.

Always garage kept the SUV and noticed that the bottom of the coil is rusted and split. Was thinking of ordering Bilstein coils for the rear. Are these OK or does it matter. Seeing prices all over the place. Best one is around $100 for two coils.

Also ordering top and bottom shims(?) for the two coils.

coil.jpg

brokencoil.jpg.jpg

I was going to try this myself. Called a local shop and they told me $150 for the pair so thinking this is good that the shop will install my coils.

The X3 is only driven during winter months and getting ready to store for summer. I am late this year though.

·
Anti-Hack
5,128 Posts
I used Lemforders IIRC. Check that the Bilsteins have the same compressed height to avoid the Carolina Squat.

Helpful tip: raise the entire rear of the car, not just one side, and you'll be able to avoid disconnecting the sway bar. If you do choose to disconnect the sway bar, separate it from the frame, not the end links, on both sides before jacking up the vehicle, and reattached after letting it down.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used Lemforders IIRC. Check that the Bilsteins have the same compressed height to avoid the Carolina Squat.

What is the Carolina Squat?

It is the Bilstein 38-228599 that I want to order for regular suspension on the 2006 X3. The RealOEM parts link shows: X3 E83 X3 3.0i Barrel spring rear ==> No parts found matching your car.

spring.jpg

Well I think it has a normal suspension (geez bought it in fall of 2006 - mfg March 2006). Looking at the VIN list see that it has Aerodynamic package on it. It is not the M-style though.

I read or saw on a YouTube video that the replacemend OEM BMW coil springs are different than the original ones (a side by side view shows the coils thicker than the original ones?)

bilstein.jpg

lesjofors.jpg

·
Anti-Hack
5,128 Posts

What is the Carolina Squat?

It is the Bilstein 38-228599 that I want to order for regular suspension on the 2006 X3. The RealOEM parts link shows: X3 E83 X3 3.0i Barrel spring rear ==> No parts found matching your car.

View attachment 896267

Well I think it has a normal suspension (geez bought it in fall of 2006 - mfg March 2006). Looking at the VIN list see that it has Aerodynamic package on it. It is not the M-style though.
You'll have to google image the carolina squat. :thumbup:

FCP has OEM springs for your car.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-coil-spring-x3-4208450

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thank you Duke!

Good price and similiar to Amazon. Nice lifetime warranty from FCP.

Yes here wanted to be a marine biologist in the 1970's.

Ralph Ericson trained me for PADI in the 1970's. Also ACUC certified and did fly for a bit many many years ago.

Cars have been a hobby here since the 1960's. First automobile was a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Put together a parts order from FCP. Price is good. The Brembo brake kit was ordered from New Parts dot com. Communications was not that good with them. Price was good though.

fcp.jpg

·
Anti-Hack
5,128 Posts
You're welcome.

Marine biologist is one of my many current hats. Just got back from FL where I put together some mangove zonation data for my pupils, and spearheaded some thoroughly exciting soft coral feeding-efficiency-based zonation data in San Salvador, Bahamas years ago. A rolling stone gathers no moss, IMO. I no longer have my first vehicle, but we still have our first tractor, and I have my 2nd car (the Olds in my sig).

FYI FCP has very quick shipping; the free shipping usually arrive at my door within 2 days, and they have a lifetime warranty, so those springs will be the last ones you'll ever have to buy. Good luck with the spring swap!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thank you Duke. Ordering today. Not in a rush.

In the 70's while in school did a little trip down the Amazon River with a zoologist. Mostly on a search and collection endeavor. That said picked up my Blue Crown amazon parrot when she was about the size of my thumb.

She is doing well these days and gets along well with the grand children.

Her picture was featured in one of the BMW CCA Chicago chapter newsletter a couple of years ago. She does not get along with wife (never has).

kika.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
Intially used Firefox and had issues logging in. Then switched over to Chrome and it appeared to work until the order was being processed.

Had an issue processing order yesterday. The order is in my cart. Tried calling this morning and ended up in an endless loop 3-4 times then a dial tone. Called about 10 times. Emailed 3-4 times with no reponse.

I have read only good things about FCP Euro. They must be having issues.

·
I'm an enabler!
24 Posts
Intially used Firefox and had issues logging in. Then switched over to Chrome and it appeared to work until the order was being processed.

Had an issue processing order yesterday. The order is in my cart. Tried calling this morning and ended up in an endless loop 3-4 times then a dial tone. Called about 10 times. Emailed 3-4 times with no reponse.

I have read only good things about FCP Euro. They must be having issues.
Just sent a PM to one of my rally colleagues who works there. He's going to look into it. If it's pressing, CALL Blunttech www.blunttech.com and ask for Steve. He should be able to hook you up as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts