BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think I have the infamous Harmon Kardon rattle. I hear a rattle coming from the rear deck somewhere. The funny thing is it rattles when the stereo is off too. Im wondering if thats the speaker rattling or something else. Is the Harmon Kardon rattle only heard when the radio is on? Or is it heard while it is off too. Please advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Maximus said:
Alex,
No I dont. I have a 2001 330I w/sport package. The rattle is really annnoying and sounds like a vibration. It gets worst when I cross lanes and go over little bumps.
Did you check the third brake light ? The plastic housing may rattle too.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
A list of likely "offenders":

1) HK sub in the trunk

2) Strut mount loose

3) Emergency Jack loose

4) Spare wheel loose

5) Spare wheel cover loose

6) Battery tray loose

I've had all of the above except #1 (no HK sub), and they all sound exactly alike and same as your description. Go figure.

If you REALLY want to pin-point your rattle problem, go through all the loose bolts and nuts in the rattling area and tighten everything down ONE BY ONE. Or get one of your friends to ride in the trunk. I know, stupid but effective.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.