BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
597 Posts
Depending on what your final drive is geared at now, let me tell you, upgrading my diff. from a 3.45 to a 4.10 LSD was by FAR the best mod that I ever performed to my 5'er :thumbup:
A net increase in accel of 18.5% is very noticeable, and a match made in heaven w. the forced induction (as the s/c kicks in only past 3K RPM's, and the shorter gears kick in as soon as you touch the skinny right pedal :D ).
Cost was approx. $3,600 from Jim Blanton at Performance Gearing - btw, he is an awesome guy to deal with, and the authority in BMW gearing. I highly recommend his work and services :)

· Registered
597 Posts
s62 said:
Ok, this is where the crazy number is coming from :)

Diff ratio changes do not increase horsepower.

Diff ratio changes do however change torque, you get higher torque multiplication BUT (and this is a bit BUT) for _shorter_ amounts of time because the shorter gears.

The result is an increase in the "butt dyno" because of the strong but short torque bursts but you are not getting a big increase in acceleration.

This has been discussed alot on m5board, see this thread for one: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67150
I never stated that a change in diff ratio increases HP :dunno:
However, and I quote Jim Blanton from Performance Gearing "... and changing your diff from a 3.45 to a LSD 4.10 in a 530 will result in a net gain in accel. of approx. 18.5%."
I have not gone to the track / strip (yet) to test my times - however from a daily driver perspective (yes, I do drive my car hard), I can tell you that the increase in accel. is SIGNIFICANTLY noticeable and an absolute blast to drive (especially when combined w. the s/c) :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.