BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got rear ended on the highway last week. I was stopped due to traffic jam, other car tried to stop but not enough distance before he crashed into my X3, probably at 20 mph.

When he crashed I held on to the Brake as hard as I can, as I was watching the rearview mirror. Walked out with a Stiff neck and back, otherwise bruiseless. X3 is worth every penny.

Rear view/topview camera and parking distance sensor seems to be working except a couple of them mis-positioned due to impact.

Rear Bumper cracked and the bottom grey piece (I have an M Sport version) came off. The metal sheet guarding the muffler is bent but the muffler looks intact.

Dropped off the X3 at the Collision Center today.

Collision center said they will give me an estimate in 48 hrs. Is there anything specific I need to check when I take the delivery? Please advise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sorry about your incident, glad you're ok. A 20mph collision is pretty significant. i expected more damage honestly. glad to know the X3 held up. I believe most bumpers (front and rear) are tested and designed for 5mph. the collision experts will know what to inspect but you can ask them about simple things like wheel alignment, shocks, brakes, chassis, gas tank related damages.

obviously, the electrical components and sensors will all need to be tested. Those could potentially be more expensive to fix/repair than just body work. let us know how it goes. Could be good info for others.

good luck.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
The guy behind you was probably tailgating you and could not stop. I would contact a lawyer and a doctor if you are having neck and back pain.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry about your incident, glad you're ok. A 20mph collision is pretty significant. i expected more damage honestly. glad to know the X3 held up. I believe most bumpers (front and rear) are tested and designed for 5mph. the collision experts will know what to inspect but you can ask them about simple things like wheel alignment, shocks, brakes, chassis, gas tank related damages.

obviously, the electrical components and sensors will all need to be tested. Those could potentially be more expensive to fix/repair than just body work. let us know how it goes. Could be good info for others.

good luck.
Thanks. Since it was a Car and was braking hard at that time (nose dipping down) it kind of hit hard on the lower part of the bumper and broke the gray part. 20 mph was a guess since I could see him trying to stop for good 50 feet. Will keep this thread posted what I find out from the Collision center.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy behind you was probably tailgating you and could not stop. I would contact a lawyer and a doctor if you are having neck and back pain.
The other party wasn't tailgating but was not paying attention to the road, because there was at least 100 meters before I came to a stop. He probably noticed in the last 100 feet. Speed limit was 65 mph.

Thanks for you advice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Since it was a Car and was braking hard at that time (nose dipping down) it kind of hit hard on the lower part of the bumper and broke the gray part. 20 mph was a guess since I could see him trying to stop for good 50 feet. Will keep this thread posted what I find out from the Collision center.
Update:

Took delivery of the car last week from the Collision Center. They replaced Rear Bumper and Heat shield (a metal sheet above the Muffler).

Initially the bumper didn't align (they missed a slot to press it correctly in to the hole) and had to leave it over the weekend. But 2nd try they fixed it perfectly. Meanwhile I had gone to the dealership's used car section and found a similar color/combo X3 and took pictures from different angles just in case if there was disagreement with the collision center (didn't need it though). Cost of repair was 2500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts