BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a rather annoying knocking coming from rear near side, and i cant figure out where its coming from? it sounds like something is loose but i cant find anything wrong!
ive checked rsm and thats fine, checked wheel bearings and they r fine, checked all rear bushes and again they are fine? any suggestions?:dunno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just posted with the same sound, I also checked the RSM and they seemed fine. My noise is a constant thudding coming from the rear too, but mine only happens when I am just coasting. If you find out what the problem is let me know.

·
Search: Top right corner
1,127 Posts
Rtab's??

I had a clicking noise over bumps, replaced with poly one's....no more noise.

·
Registered
182 Posts
does it shudder when you'r turning? when you jack up the car, and shake the tires, do they move?

I think t's your rubber centrepiece that attaches the clutch to the transmission

it's called a guido too, you could either look at it, it's close to the muffler just around the transmission
just test to see if the rubber is frayed
or
replace everything made of rubber, lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
i am having the same issue had the guibo checked it was fine ended up being the anit-rattle clips that attach to the caliper were loose. Just pop them off bend them out and no more noise...atleast in my case.

·
Dream Green or die
713 Posts
Have you checked the "sticky" sounds from the rear?....

·
U know how the game goes
705 Posts
Check the torque on the differential bolts.

There are three big ones, two in the rear, one in the front, that hold the diff in place. It's pretty common for the front bolt to work itself loose causing the diff to shift around under load and knock against the carrier. Eventually the front diff bolt bends or snaps. There are several aftermarket solutions to this problem.

The bolts should be torqued to 70ft/lbs which is several knotches above "hand tight" so check them properly or have a shop do it.

A loose bolt can result in the knocking while coasting (load on/load off) phenomena too but that problem could also mean the differential has worn out.

Put the rear end of the car up on jackstands and check for excessive play in the diff. With the car in the air, lock the driveshaft by putting the car in gear then grab ahold of the diffs output flanges and try to crank them in opposite directions (clockwise vs counter-clock).

Lots of play before engaging? Can you reproduce the "thunk" sound? If so, then the internal gears are worn and it's probably time for a rebuild or replacement.

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts