BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was just wondering if anyone knew if an E46 is pre wired for a rear fog light. i know i need to change the switch and the bulb socket on the drivers side but do i have to run wires to the trunk.

·
ELmO
362 Posts
Just out of curiousity what would a rear fog light be used for? So others do not hit you from behind in the fog?

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Ah, no. Rear fog lights are only for use in dense fog (by American standards, really dense fog) as a last ditch measure to keep from getting rear ended. BMW NA is convinced too many of their customers do not understand this. They believe that adding them would decrease overall public safety, that the increased risk of those who would use them when they shouldn't would swamp out the reduced risk from those who would only use them in dense fog. So BMW NA deletes rear fog lights from their cars.

Don't look at me: that's the essence of their reply when they've been asked about this.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Already been discussed a few times. Do a search the old threads, especially posts by Kaz who has done the retrofit to his 325 touring.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
operknockity said:
Already been discussed a few times. Do a search the old threads, especially posts by Kaz who has done the retrofit to his 325 touring.
In at least one of those threads I have some low quality pictures of them in operation on my car.

They are VERY bright and only to be used in the worst visability conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts