BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds like a no brainer and it usually is. Today I went to install a new plate cover and was not happy with what I found. Looks like there might have been some kind of aftermarket thing installed. The standard 2 holes are not there. The 2 holes on the top outside are treaded. Any idea what was installed?

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,159 Posts
The standard 2 holes are not there. The 2 holes on the top outside are treaded. Any idea what was installed?
This is normal for the F01 since we have a US-specific trunk trim panel that fits the shape of our plates. On vehicles where the trunk trim is standard across all markets or there is no trim (ie. F10, G12), those have a plastic adapter for US plates that mounts to the two holes for EU license plates.

The only problem I see with your mounting holes is that the upper left might have been stripped and someone put an insert that looks to be too small.

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
I know this sounds like a no brainer and it usually is. Today I went to install a new plate cover and was not happy with what I found. Looks like there might have been some kind of aftermarket thing installed. The standard 2 holes are not there. The 2 holes on the top outside are treaded. Any idea what was installed?

View attachment 1067652 View attachment 1067652
You’re missing the license plate holder. Your plate shoulodn’t mount directly to the car…you should have a plastic plate holder that attaches to the holes you see in your trunk area…then your state license plate mounts to the holder.

See #26 in the illustration below…you need to order BMW part number 51 13 7 211 673…you may also need to check if you need #23 & #24 (screw & expanding nut) so that you can mount the plate holder correctly. And you will also need the standard license plate screws to mount the plate to the plate holder. BTW, there are several types of plate holders bmw uses…so you may run across multiple designs in your search.

Font Auto part Engineering Technology Automotive exterior

You can see the other plate holder designs in the illustration below…see #5, #6, #7…and again, #16 & #13 (screw & expanding nut) secures the plate holder to the vehicle…then you screw the plate to the plate holder:

Auto part Font Event Metal Machine

Reactions: jaye944

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Part #26 is for China only. The rear plate on both of my cars are mounted directly to the trim panel (I added some foam strips to prevent rubbing), same as on my old E65.

View attachment 1067666
Good to know…when I did a brief search on the internet for a 7 series without a rear plate…I ran across this example below. It appears to have something similar to #26 when you look past the license plate frame with the advertisement graphic. That is what sent me to the part database.
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,159 Posts
Good to know…when I did a brief search on the internet for a 7 series without a rear plate…I ran across this example below. It appears to have something similar to #26 when you look past the license plate frame with the advertisement graphic. That is what sent me to the part database.
Yup, but that's a G12 LCI. The G12 trunk doesn't have a plastic trim piece like the F01, so the EU mounting holes are used for vehicles in all markets, hence why the adapter is needed.

I guess BMW figured they could just contour the sheet metal so that the design works with the three major markets' plate sizes (US, EU, and China), so by the time the F10 came out, this market-specific plastic trim was dropped.

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
I guess BMW figured they could just contour the sheet metal so that the design works with the three major markets' plate sizes (US, EU, and China), so by the time the F10 came out, this market-specific plastic trim was dropped.
Do yo screw directly into the holes in the trunk or are there expanding rivets missing in the OPs pics. I ask because it looks like one of the holes on the top left appears to have an expanding rivet…or something since it isn’t the same size hole as the others.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,159 Posts
Do yo screw directly into the holes in the trunk or are there expanding rivets missing in the OPs pics. I ask because it looks like one of the holes on the top left appears to have an expanding rivet…or something since it isn’t the same size hole as the others.
Directly into the plastic. I think someone tried to fix the stripped threads as that thing isn't supposed to be there.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I do have a rear panel. I had replaced mine with a European type so I can install an euro style license plate. except mine is jet black but the hole are in prefect condition. the panel is also perfect condition.
let me know if interested. not sure where you location so shipping may kill a great deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts