BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in SOHO area this morning with my driver's side window down...the streets are made with those bumpy-ass bricks. I heard continuous clunking while driving down that street...the noise is most likely coming from the rear driver's side. What could it be and is it safe to drive with it?...at least for a few weeks?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out your brake pads, they might be rattling like mine. Try applying the brakes when going over the bumps to see if the sound disappears.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out your brake pads, they might be rattling like mine. Try applying the brakes when going over the bumps to see if the sound disappears.
Interesting...I will try that tomorrow. I got the pads/rotors done around 5k miles ago.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise is more like rattling than clunking. Ok, I just tested it out before...applied brakes while going over some minor bumps. The rattling noise was gone or to a minimal that I barely can hear it. So whats my next step?

·
Gearhead
1,123 Posts
That sounds familiar to something I experienced a long time ago. I took it to the dealer, and they spent 1/2 a day debugging my woes, and found that it was the splash shield flapping about making the noise. How they came to that conclusion blows my mind away, but the noise definitely was gone! They just bent the section that came close to making contact out of the way.

HTH...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know - I haven't fixed mine yet :)

By any chance do you have Akebono (sp?) pads? Thats what I have, and with the wheel off I can move the pad up and down with a screwdriver 1mm+. I'm not sure if it is some clip, spring, shim, or the brake pads simply not being a good fit. It would be a bummer because I really like these pads. I've been thinking that I might have to get creative with shimming...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds familiar to something I experienced a long time ago. I took it to the dealer, and they spent 1/2 a day debugging my woes, and found that it was the splash shield flapping about making the noise. How they came to that conclusion blows my mind away, but the noise definitely was gone! They just bent the section that came close to making contact out of the way.
HTH...
My rattling noise is metallic sounding...

I don't know - I haven't fixed mine yet :)

By any chance do you have Akebono (sp?) pads? Thats what I have, and with the wheel off I can move the pad up and down with a screwdriver 1mm+. I'm not sure if it is some clip, spring, shim, or the brake pads simply not being a good fit. It would be a bummer because I really like these pads. I've been thinking that I might have to get creative with shimming...
Yes, I do have Akebono Euro. I really love these pads too. Well, if you do find a solution before I do...PLEASE report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts