BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear door on my 2002 330i seems to take more force then the rest to close and when opening it feels like it is under stress and want to “Pop” open. Not to the point that it flies open, but you can tell. Since I am a new BMW owner of only a few weeks I did not know if this is normal or not. I have look to see what my be causing this problem and can not find any one spot where the door seal is pushed out or the door might be bent. I was wondering if this might be a door alignment issue.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
It's not normal, but I can tell you mine (rear passenger) has been like this since the day I picked it up all shiny and new.

If didn't bother me and I certainly didn't want the dealership messing with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I did not think it was normal myself, maybe a common failure that I am not aware of being a new BMW owner. It also does not bother me that much either as I do not sit in the back seat, but my kids do and it appears to be a problem sometimes for them when they attempt to close the door, mostly form the outside.

The other thing I noticed is that the trim on the main body of the car around this door, it’s the trim the curves from the lower part up to the roofline, also seems to be loose, and flexes a little when the door is closed. I know this is not the cause for the door fitting so tight more an effect there of.

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
It's not normal, but I can tell you mine (rear passenger) has been like this since the day I picked it up all shiny and new.

If didn't bother me and I certainly didn't want the dealership messing with it.
This seems to be a common problem, both my 325i and 328i have always had this problem. I never bothered with it either and on the rare occasion that I had passengers I would open and close the door for them. Yea, they just thought I was being nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you open the door and look at the latch. there are 3 bolts that hold it to the door and just beside the top bolt there is a small plasic cap. underneath this is the "lock adjustment screw" DO NOT TOUCH THIS! it describes the adjustment in the HAYNES manuel (thats the one we have in the uk. not as good as the bently) it warns that if the adjustment is incorect, the the door skin may have to be CUT open to open the door again!

It may be that screw is a bit too tight, or it may be the "bar" that the latch shuts onto needs moving out slighty. done this on a few cars, but I would't mess with an e46, too expensive. But BMW should be able to make the adjustment in a matter of minutes, and if they screw it up, then they should fix it again.

Hope this info is helpfull, please dont go braking anything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think the trim you are talkin about, is the gutter beading that runs around the doors. Yes, that is a common bmw problem especially with the black matte trim like i got. It does come loose. Best if you replace it. Buy the beading and install it yourself. Easy to do. Clips loose

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that is correct, that it is the gutter trim.
What are you referring to when you say beading? The black plastic or rubber piece that runs around the inside of the trim?
Mine is chrome btw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.