BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 328i sedan with 72,000 miles. I bought it used last summer with 60,000 miles (I do a lot of long distance commuting). I don't race or anything like that, excpet for hot rodding on the interstate, so regular rotors and pads are all I need.

When I got it, the used car dealer (not a BMW dealer) had all 4 rotors and pads replaced with some cheap Hong Kong generic rotors and pads on it. The front ones are ok, but the rear rotors have deep grooves cutting into them. The pads are still thick. I am going to replace the pads and rotors, and found a cheap deal on BMW brand rear rotors from a BMW dealership.

But I was wondering if the BMW brand rotors are any better than other brands like Bendix or Brembo, and if anyone makes "organic" pads (not semi-metallic, not metallic) made out of rawhide or asbestos or whatever they are made of.

Are the BMW brand pads organic? Or are they semi-metallic or metallic. I hate metallic and semi-metallic pads since they like to eat rotors for breakfast and screech even with that blue anti-squeal stuff in a spray can. I always get organic pads for my Chevy Caprice. Anyone have any tips? Also, are scored rotors on the rear a common problem, or could it be that the so-called mechanic at the used car lot put things together wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 1998 328i sedan with 72,000 miles. I bought it used last summer with 60,000 miles (I do a lot of long distance commuting). I don't race or anything like that, excpet for hot rodding on the interstate, so regular rotors and pads are all I need.

When I got it, the used car dealer (not a BMW dealer) had all 4 rotors and pads replaced with some cheap Hong Kong generic rotors and pads on it. The front ones are ok, but the rear rotors have deep grooves cutting into them. The pads are still thick. I am going to replace the pads and rotors, and found a cheap deal on BMW brand rear rotors from a BMW dealership.

But I was wondering if the BMW brand rotors are any better than other brands like Bendix or Brembo, and if anyone makes "organic" pads (not semi-metallic, not metallic) made out of rawhide or asbestos or whatever they are made of.

Are the BMW brand pads organic? Or are they semi-metallic or metallic. I hate metallic and semi-metallic pads since they like to eat rotors for breakfast and screech even with that blue anti-squeal stuff in a spray can. I always get organic pads for my Chevy Caprice. Anyone have any tips? Also, are scored rotors on the rear a common problem, or could it be that the so-called mechanic at the used car lot put things together wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hit the post button twice eh!

Use OEM rear rotors. The rears are soid rotors in the 328, as 70% of the braking is from the front tires. There are aftermarket slotted and cross drilled rotors but in real life they don't help the breaking too much. OEM pas are organic. The won't eat rotors but they do dust a lot. Try a low dusting pad from an aftermarket supplier.
Brembo's= Good.
Bendix= Cheap junk.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a set of rotors from a BMW dealership on the Internet since they are dirt cheap, and even with shipping charges it is still cheaper deal than my local greedy BMW dealer (my local dealer also sells VW, Volvo, Subaru and Kia so youd' think their prices would be cheap - but guess again!).

I am thinking of getting Axxis Deluxe pads since they are the only organic ones I can find mentioned on the Internet, and I even tried Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone. All other brands are either metallic or semi-metallic. The BMW dealerships that I have scouted for the cheapest prices all told me the BMW pads are semi-metallic. I saw some posts on other sites that say the Axxis brand organic pads don't dust a lot or fade out like other pads. So I guess I will get those.

As a tip to folks, Eastwood Co. (www.eastwoodco.com) makes cast-iron grey caliper and rotor paint in a spray can that looks like new cast iron, and looks better than rust. They also have a paint called "Silver Cad" that looks more like the silver paint or coating I see on the rotors on brand new BMW's at the dealerships. I should have gotten the Silver Cad instead since it heat range is the same as thier cast iron colored rotor and caliper paint.

Thanks for the help! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts