Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you who happen to own a 2001 7-series, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look in your back seat and see if you have those LATCH connections installed. These are a pair of steel hooks just between the seat and seat back for connecting child seats. I've been trying to research it, but the NHTSA web site that lists LATCH-equipped cars simply doesn't have an entry for the 7-series. Their 2001 database says LATCH was standard on the 2001 3-series but not on the 5-series, which I find very odd.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I don't think E38s came with them. I don't know that personally, but one guy posted his solution for his 2001 740i Sport.

Martin rigged up his latch system by doing the following:

1) remove back seat. It comes out pretty easy. Pull up on front and then pull forward

2) remove bolts that hold down seatbelts

3) Take bolts to home Depot

4) Find a chain link that fits thru the bolt

5) have them cut two sections of two links (looks like a figure eight)

6) Walk up to the check out counter and tell them it's $0.49 a foot and you have 2 inches. Home Depot told him no charge.

7) Take the two links home and thread each bolt thru one of the links and poisition the other link horizontally towards the center of the car. Bolt it down to spec (you can even buy a longer bolt if you wish. My Home Depot did not have the right size with the fine thread

8) hook in the Child Safetly Latch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think E38s came with them.
I suspect you're right. :(

With a new chassis coming out the following year, they probably would have waited to do the engineering for it.

Not sure I want to rig up a bastardized connection, but that's an interesting workaround.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
CbadE38 said:
Not sure I want to rig up a bastardized connection, but that's an interesting workaround.
I know what you mean. I would not have even suggested it but the guy who came up with that solution doesn't do things half-assed. I bet it came out pretty good! :) Just something to think about...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts