BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 330i Saturday night in light snow but on very icy roads. This is my 1st RWD car. I have Nokian NRW tires which have been great. There were no problems and braking was excellant. Then while going fairly slowly on a city street with a curve to the right, my back swung out left and it freaked me out. The ASC (no DSC) kicked in and I steered into the slide a bit and I straightened out fairly quickly but had there been oncoming traffic it may have been ugly. I have a couple of bags of salt in the trunk but maybe that isn't really necessary and actually contributerd to the rear sliding out. Any ideas.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Suggestions:

1) remove the salt bags
2) turn ON dsc, why is it off?

My rear end swings out all the time in the snow, but it's corrected pretty much immediately depending on my speed. I have yet to countersteer in this situation more than a 1/4 turn of the wheel.

·
10,856 Posts
I'm goign to presume goodfella is Canadian, and therefore chose not to buy DSC.

ANY time you drive on the snow in a RWD car, if you touch the throttle in a corner you're quite likely to bring the tail about. I brought the tail around numerous times in my AWD DSC equipped car last time it snowed.

And yes, remove the salt bags. (Do you have rubber mats? If not, get them. These are the ultimate last ditch traction aids AND they protect your interior. They will save your ass when kitty litter and salt won't do shit.)

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I'm goign to presume goodfella is Canadian, and therefore chose not to buy DSC.
Ah I forgot that was an option in Canadia. Crazy Canadia. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Canadian

Yes. I'm Canadian. The country with the real Moron for a leader. DSC was an option. I bought my car this summer replacing a stolen 325xi and wanted a 330i (not that there's anything wrong with a 325 or an x). I didn't want to wait to order so I got one from inventory that had most of the features I wanted.

I have rubber BMW mats, the dealer included them.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Take some performance driving schools goodfella. RWD behaves completely differently than front wheel or even all wheel drive cars in snow and you NEED to re-learn how to drive it.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:
Take some performance driving schools goodfella. RWD behaves completely differently than front wheel or even all wheel drive cars in snow and you NEED to re-learn how to drive it.
Needs to get out on a skidpad, I don't think he would get oversteer correcting practice on the track. These cars don't oversteer from the factory

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Even in rainy, snowy or icy conditions, I actually have to try to get the tail out on my car (or even get DSC to kick in). My guess is that the salt bags are the biggest problem here. You'd never guess that the E46 was rear wheel drive 90% of the time. If this guy had an M coupe or any BMW from the 80's, I'd say he should "learn" how to drive RWD. But w/ the e46 setup I doubt that its really necessary for most drivers to "learn" rwd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts