Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently bought an after market rear spoiler (I hate calling it that...) and was wondering a few things. It came with 3M double sided tape but not very much... will this be enough to hold it flush to the car forever? I find it hard to believe that just some tape is adequate to keep a piece stuck to your car forever. Also, no real instructions on where to place the tape to give it the best hold. Anybody done this before on their own? Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes.. and no. I would suggest getting higher strength 3M tape than the one supplied with the spoiler. But.. my stupid E60 has had the most stubborn spoiler ever and it always comes up. I think it's simply the design of the piece of plastic and the temperatures, because I can see a humongous difference in the stretch with hot vs cold overnight, and it's wreaked havoc. I got really mad and used "goop" which is more flexible and... glued it to the car. It holds up much better now, but still not perfect. I've had other trim and pieces on different cars and 3M is always good enough to get the job done right.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Oh.. just to not rain on the parade of the spoiler.. I've seen the exact same spoiler factory on M5's all lift up in the same places mine did, so I think it really is the design of this particular spoiler vs the metal trunk expanding and contracting in relation to each other.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I recently installed a spoiler on mine and the 3M tape that was provided seem very sticky. The tape ran on both sides of the bottom of the spoiler. If your gut is telling you it's not enough, I would trust it and get more or higher quality 3M tape.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I installed the BMW spoiler using the 3M automotive tape and all is well so far. The spoiler came with some tape on it, but I used a lot more 3M automotive tape to secure it to the trunk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts