Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a rear spoiler or wing. I prefer the aerodynamics of a wing, but I really want to keep my car looking classy. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I assume you are planning this for a roadster since you have a 97. Not to be snarky, but don't do it. Both a wing and decklid spoiler were available from BMW, but in my opinion, neither looked very good, and I have not seen any compelling data that either was very functionally effective. Of course it is your car, so if you want one, there are several iterations available on eBay.

·
BMW CCA 1405
5,111 Posts
I would like to install a rear spoiler or wing. I prefer the aerodynamics of a wing, but I really want to keep my car looking classy. Any recommendations?
To keep classy, do neither.
What do you plan to do with the car, and how fast will you be going?
Spoilers help mpg, and wings exert downforce.
Can you explain how the aerodynamics of a spoiler or wing would be of any value to a Z3?
Aside from diminishing the monetary value.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,722 Posts
to keep classy, do neither.
Can you explain how the aerodynamics of a spoiler or wing would be of any value to a z3?
1+

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To keep classy, do neither.
Can you explain how the aerodynamics of a spoiler or wing would be of any value to a Z3?
"What do you plan to do with the car" - Push it to its limit.
"how fast will you be going?" - How fast will it go?
"Spoilers help mpg, and wings exert downforce. " - I am not concerned with mpg, but I want the most down-force possible. The only problem is that I have not found a wing that I think would look good. I found a spoiler once that I thought would look good, but I really want a wing.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,722 Posts
Maybe you need to read your signature -
It's a Roadster not a Dragster!

·
nc01z3
37 Posts
My 01 Roadster had a spoiler when I bought it. I can't confirm any performance benefit as I have never experienced 110 at VIR without it, but I like the distinguishing look from other Z3s.:D

Attachments

·
BMW CCA 1405
5,111 Posts
"What do you plan to do with the car" - Push it to its limit.
"how fast will you be going?" - How fast will it go?... I want the most down-force possible. The only problem is that I have not found a wing that I think would look good...
I suppose some can go 130 mph. I have not heard anyone ever say that a Z3 needs the downforce of a wing, but then have not heard of anyone spending time at such high speeds.

·
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
395 Posts
Hell, I remember doing 130 on my '98 Z3 2.8 and the back end seemed okay, but it seemed the front end was getting light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your input. It is not the straight-line driving that I am looking to improve. It is the cornering. I know that it already corners like it is on rails, but I can't help but wonder if it will improve with the added down-force of a wing.

nc01z3 - I really like the look of that wing from the side, but I would want something that does not sit up so high when viewed from the back.

Maybe I will need to upgrade the aerodynamics all the way around to achieve the correct look and performance. If that's the case, then I will probably not change anything. Either way, I would entertain any future recommendations. Thank you

·
BMW CCA 1405
5,111 Posts
... It is not the straight-line driving that I am looking to improve. It is the cornering... I can't help but wonder if it will improve with the added down-force of a wing...
Are you thinking a wing will keep the rear end from losing grip in cornering? A wing would not have much effect until far beyond cornering speeds. And the ASC would intervene at cornering speeds long before a wing would have any effect

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you thinking a wing will keep the rear end from losing grip in cornering? A wing would not have much effect until far beyond cornering speeds. And the ASC would intervene at cornering speeds long before a wing would have any effect
I must say that the ASC in the Z3 is by far the best I have experienced.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you want to improve handling spend your money on tires and suspension. The effects of a wing or spoiler are cosmetic, unless you spend time in a wind tunnel tuning it.
You won't get a lot of love for them here. Personally I do like some spoilers, :) but I'm more of an old school hot rod guy.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,722 Posts
If you want to improve handling spend your money on tires and suspension. ...
or the driver.

I'm always surprised at how much different a car can handle when a great driver is behind the wheel vs when a good driver is behind the wheel.

·
BMW CCA 1405
5,111 Posts
I have not seen a wing on a Z3. The Z3 "wings" that I have seen are raised spoilers, not too bad looking but ineffectual. A wing is an elevated deflector, very large and ugly on a street car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not seen a wing on a Z3. The Z3 "wings" that I have seen are raised spoilers, not too bad looking but ineffectual. A wing is an elevated deflector, very large and ugly on a street car.
It is my understanding that a wing is simply a spoiler that has a gap between the trunk lid and the body of the spoiler, whereas a spoiler has no gap.

There is no way that I would destroy the looks of my car with a track-style wing. I would want something that would compliment the sexy curves of the Z not distort them. I would change nothing before doing that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 01 Roadster had a spoiler when I bought it. I can't confirm any performance benefit as I have never experienced 110 at VIR without it, but I like the distinguishing look from other Z3s.:D
Maybe next time you go to VIR I can meet you there to see if the wing actually makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts