Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear suspension is half inch lower on the passenger side. Any idea what might be wrong? How soon should it be repaired?

·
Registered
539 Posts
You don't indicate which car you are driving but most likely it's an air bag suspension issue.
I've replaced both of mine on my '11. One side was free, there's a technical service bulletin. The other was covered under the extended warranty.
It should be fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, 2010 550i gt, 57k mileage, first thing in the morning noticed the uneven suspension, I forgot about the auto level on this car, while driving it adjusted, waiting now to see what it looks like in the morning

·
Registered
873 Posts
It won't be an airspring leak, or the car would deflate totally to one side overnight.

The system, as on other self levelling BMWs, has a sensor at each rear wheel that moves with the suspension travel. These sensors therefore control the ride height, which can adjusted individually to match the spec.

It could be out of spec; the sensor operating arm could be broken; the ball joints in the sensor could be rusted and stiff; the sensor may have water ingress.

·
Registered
539 Posts
He stated that the car adjusts and rides normally after it is started.
My right side air bag had a slow leak and would go down slightly overnight. When started in the morning it quickly inflated to normal.
The left side one exploded violently like a rifle shot and instantly went flat.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
At least in the USA, BMW did a recall on the left air bag. There was a production issue where some bolt or other hardware could rub on it and eventually make a weak spot that caused failure. I'd guess that problem was common across all builds for all markets. You might check to see if that applies in Canada, and get at least that one replaced for free. While I never had an issue with mine (also a 2011 MY), it was replaced for free by the recall procedure here. I just don't have all that many miles on mine, it's now about 44K-miles in nearly 8-years (it'll be 8 years this April).

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Depending on the size of the hole and where it is located, you might not notice the problem until it blows out if the compressor can keep up.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The spring starts to leak where the material curls under , so is under maximum stress,and cracks appear . At the beginning you might just hear a light hiss from a pinhole, and the compressor can keep up. Under a different load it might seal itself temporarily but the whole things will soon let go with a whoosh and a bang...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts