BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometymes when i drive pass 4k rpm...(driving in fast mode)..my rear tire seems to be shaking or peeling out...but it dont seem to be peeling..(at 4k rpm????)...kinda odd if its peeling....but yea...the tire seems to be shaking...so im not sure if this is normal for rear wheel drive cars...any ideas anyone????:eeps:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Check the torque on the wheel bolts. Preferably before you drive it again. THat's probably not the problem, but having a wheel fall off isn't something you want to have happen.

Wheel vibration should depend mostly on car speed, not engine speed. If it's engine speed that starts the vibration, I would guess that something else is wrong and it feels like it's coming from the back of the car. Could be something wacked in the drive train too, but it's pretty hard to tell from your description. DO you feel any vibration in the brake pedal? How about the steering wheel?

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope...no vibration on steerin wheel or when braking...jes when going pass around 4k rpm...all the bolts are shot tight....lol....it feels like its peeling, but at 4k rpm???tats odd...wat do people mean by LSD???

·
Registered
489 Posts
Have you had the wheels balanced? If not do

There's absolutely no point in trying to troubleshoot this problem until you know the wheels are in balance and tightened correctly. What I mean by that is when fitting wheel you tighten one nut but not completely then you tighten the opposite but again not completely.
Then add the third and fourth and only tightened the nuts fully once all are added.

This might sound ridiculous but when you consider the centrifugal forces when we are driving at motorway speeds a couple of grams out of balance, or 1 or 2 degree's of true alignment could be the difference between you getting home or calling for assistance due to shredded tyres or worse losing control of your car.

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Download the Bentley. And look in the driveshaft section. there are loads of possibilities that it could be a number of the driveshaft support components.

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
As you can do 6k rpm and be completely stationary i would think that this is either a coincidence OR a symptom of anther problem

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
And to continue beating my "it can't be that" drum, the drive shaft is also independent of engine speed. Everything behind the transmission is independent of engine speed.

Perhaps "independent" is the wrong word, but the drive shaft turns much slower at 4k rpm in second gear then it does in fourth gear.

How about a blown engine mount where the vibration comes runs along the frame somehow and comes out near the back of the car?

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Ok, lets start with questions...

Does the sensation occur at a specific speed? In a certain gear? Does it occur while the car is in neutral? After my recent experience with my driveshaft, and the extreme vibration I had after all the new parts, I assumed I had messed up something during the install, and that my driveshaft was somehow out of balance. I had started up the car, and started driving. I noticed vibration at speed and when I came back to a stop, I turned off the car. Come to find out, I had preloaded the tranny mounts, and the vibration had nothing to do with speed, it was simply RPM's. i figured that out by finding out where the rpm's were at speed, and placing the car in nuetral and going to the same rpm. I found the same vibrations. That ruled out the driveshaft, and put my focus onto the mounts.

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it does not occur during neautral....it only happen (sometimes) when i floor the the accelration...sometimes, it just drives perfectly....

·
Registered
489 Posts
but still not dependent on engine speed for a vibration. I am guessing something else entirely.
Agreed but it is cheap, something that should be done on a regular basis and would definitely prove one way or another wether this is a wheel issue or a transmission train issue.

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
it does not occur during neautral....it only happen (sometimes) when i floor the the accelration...sometimes, it just drives perfectly....
Well, if it does not occur in neutral, then we can rule out any mounts and also the engine as a culprit. Now we have to focus on everything from the tranny back. Does it occur in any specific gear only?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Agreed but it is cheap, something that should be done on a regular basis and would definitely prove one way or another wether this is a wheel issue or a transmission train issue.
Agreed. That's why my first comment was to check the lug nuts with a torque wrench . . . even though I doubt its related to the problem. But if it's an rpm vibration and not a speed vibration, wheel balance and fitting doesn't seem to make a lot of sense as the cause.

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all the wheels are balance out....alignment is good....the issue usually happen when i floor the acceleration....usually the first gear.....

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Havent check the bearings yet tho...but today..damn...floor my pedal again to check....and it seems to shake so bad....mostly in gear 1 n 2...usaully when it passes 3500 rpm....could it b the bearings tho???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts