BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles can one expect to get out of a michelin tire . I'm old and don't drive fast anymore nor do i spin when i take off. I put a set of michelins on in november, hve driven about 4000 miles and today the wire is showing in the center of the rear tires. The front tires look like they are new. I had an alignment done as soon as the new tires were installed. Any body got any ideas. ??

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
How many miles can one expect to get out of a michelin tire . I'm old and don't drive fast anymore nor do i spin when i take off. I put a set of michelins on in november, hve driven about 4000 miles and today the wire is showing in the center of the rear tires. The front tires look like they are new. I had an alignment done as soon as the new tires were installed. Any body got any ideas. ??
Michelin makes a lot of tires, all with different tread wear ratings. You'll have to tell us which Michelin tires.

Also, if you are wearing in the center, that is an indicator of your tire pressure being too high. What pressure are you running?

I've corded "ultra high performance" tires in as little as 7800 miles in the rear of my car... but I've got a pretty aggressive alignment & driving style :).

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts
I averaged 30k miles on mine (not Michelin - couple sets of ContiSports and Goodyear F1 GS-D3's). Something is messed up (specifically with the rear suspension) if you are down to cords in 4k miles.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I am somewhere between Kris and J. Kidd. If you've had your alignment checked by a competent shop, then I'll echo Kris and say your tire pressures must be too high.

I am about to replace my rears. They are just shy of 20,000 miles and have a 300 UTQG treadwear rating. That mileage includes a few days of doing stuff like what's pictured in my signature photo. I keep my tire pressures at 36f/36r. edit: My rear suspension was aligned to a conservative specification in early 2010, and realigned to factory specs last summer (the factory specs call for a bit more negative camber than my shop originally adjusted it to).

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on my ZHP, which has a bit of aggressive alignment, especially on the rear. These tires are warrantied for 45,000 miles, and I've currently got 22,000 on them. The rears might make it to 30K, but the fronts still look almost brand new. They should go 45K easy. I'll get some credit on the next set of rears I put on it. I'd estimate that I'll go 2:1 on rear:front.

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts
I still have to say something is messed up with the rear geometry.

Even if the tire pressure were jacked to 50 psi, driving the way the OP states he does, you are not going to wear down to cords in 4k miles on brand new tires. Autocrossing, burnouts, donuts, etc. might get you to cords with that type of pressure, but normal driving should not - especially through the colder months.

It sounds like the rear toe is off. Maybe the alignment was only a front-end alignment :dunno:

·
TMS
9,288 Posts

Even if the tire pressure were jacked to 50 psi, driving the way the OP states he does, you are not going to wear down to cords in 4k miles on brand new tires. Autocrossing, burnouts, donuts, etc. might get you to cords with that type of pressure, but normal driving should not - especially through the colder months.

It sounds like the rear toe is off. Maybe the alignment was only a front-end alignment :dunno:
I wouldn't disagree, which is why I commented about having the alignment done by a competent shop. If it was done at the local Sears Auto Center, then the OP should seek out a competent independent BMW shop in his area and have them take a look at the car.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts

I've corded R-comps in as little as 35 miles.

Yes, thirty-five.

(but yes, I agree with you in regards to the OP :)).

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The worn out tires were michelin pilot sports ps2's... 255/35zr18 94y and they were replaced with the same. Dealer gave me a 50% discount on the new ones... I had the alignment checked and it was perfect according to the shop. Thanks for yall's input... THEY DID CHANGE THE TIRE PRESSURE ON THE BACK FROM 42# TO 35#...........cmr

·
Registered
692 Posts
The rears on my 330i wear twice as fast as the fronts. Wear is perfectly even, alignment is fine, properly inflated. I have no idea why, but every set of tires I have had is the same. You were lucky to talk someone into giving you a discount. A good argument against not having the staggered setup, as wear would be even with rotation.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
The worn out tires were michelin pilot sports ps2's... 255/35zr18 94y and they were replaced with the same. Dealer gave me a 50% discount on the new ones... I had the alignment checked and it was perfect according to the shop. Thanks for yall's input... THEY DID CHANGE THE TIRE PRESSURE ON THE BACK FROM 42# TO 35#...........cmr
PS2s are very soft tires.

·
ZHP = Patlabor
2,340 Posts
+100 on the alignment. If they can get the exact values front and rear- caster, toe, camber (2 sets- 1 for each tire then the combined pair value).

From my exp with PS2s, 17-24K miles for the rears @ a 3 to 1 ratio compared to the front replacements.

In California, were blessed with great weather. So even going past the wear bars in the summer still works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts