BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Nice TRX Thruxtons.

My wheels rub too, is your car lowered? I already had my fenders rolled, but they still rub over gradual humps in the road.. so next I plan to reaplce the fender wells with M5 fenders wells, I understand they allow more 'wiggle' room.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it's oem sport pack.but i was told that i may have to go with different tire like toyo t-1r case they are more rounded i don't know if it's true.the kumho i got are huge in the back and look squear i don't know.:dunno:

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Sheesh, someone is just trying to sell you tires. Go get your fenders rolled, that will help. If you're isn't lowered, that may be the only thing rubbing. You can also look at the wear line on the tire/s that's rubbing.. see if it's marring the inside painted part of your fender area.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rubs at the fender lip i already damage the right tire makin sharp left turns but i rolled the fender and still does.maybe if i do 265 at rear may help or???tsw dealer said it can be rubin they sell this all the time i think it's B.S

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
what kind of tires?
the S0-3's that came with the Fikse's didn't rub. the Pilot A/S do.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
bmwauto said:
well it's oem sport pack.but i was told that i may have to go with different tire like toyo t-1r case they are more rounded i don't know if it's true.the kumho i got are huge in the back and look squear i don't know.:dunno:
I can help but I need your cooperation. I'm running 275/35-18s on all 4 corners and my 540 Sport now has Eibach Pro Kit springs so it's lowered. I have no rubbing issues and I didn't change the fender wells out. I did roll the rear fender but they barley touched at all. I have a 5mm spacer on the fronts to keep the tire from rubbing the strut. Now it's less than a 1/16" clearance tire to strut.

Tell us which tire, where exactly on the tire it's rubbing and what the offset of that wheel is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the rim offset in the rear is 20mm the worst side that rub is passenger rear right, at the side of the fander

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
bmwauto said:
the rim offset in the rear is 20mm the worst side that rub is passenger rear right, at the side of the fander
Your offset at 20mm should work. My offset is 24mm which means my wheel/tire combo is 4mm (0.157") closer to the curb/fender side, yet my 275/35-18s don't rub. My fender lip is rolled.

My wheels are 9" wide. If yours are much wider, like 10.5 or more, that would contribute to the problem.

The Kumhos, being wider at the tread, are probably contributing to the problem too. As well as the fenders not being rolled.

I need a couple more details if you are still willing ....
1) What is the width of your rear wheels? The wheels not the tires.
2) Where on the tire sidewall does it rub, at or near the tread or at the section width which is the widest part of the tire?

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
BMWauto,

Kumho makes only the SPT and the 712 model in size 275/30-19 that you said you were running. Neither of those are as wide as the MX model.

If fact the 712 has a smaller section width than a normal 275 tire.

So again to be sure, what tire model and size are you running?

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
I know that particular Kuhmo is bad for beig QUITE-SQUARE (I had them).. that may be hurting you. I'm running General Tire, quite pleased, rubs over bumps, but not all the time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think that too but the tire it self it's not bad at all no road noise even in wet weather it's good or maybe case i have only 20k on the bimmer:) but if i drive normal it does not rub only agrresive turns or drift,or deeps

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
bmwauto said:
rubs at the tread, the rear rim is 19x9.5 with kumho ecsta sport tire
The 9.5 wheel width shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for all the questions but where it rubs on the tire, is that the surface that rolls on the street or is it the side of the tread that rubs?

I think I know what the problem is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
franka if you have e-mail i can post you the photos so you can see the file is too large for here.i have detail pictures where it rubs.thanks:)

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
kbuicker said:
I know that particular Kuhmo is bad for beig QUITE-SQUARE (I had them).. that may be hurting you. I'm running General Tire, quite pleased, rubs over bumps, but not all the time.
Kbuicker.. You've mentioned how you like your Generals and now you have me curious.

What model and size? Are they Max or UHP rated, or other?

Can you tell us what you like about them?

Can you compare them to another tire you've run and that we all might know?

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
bmwauto said:
franka if you have e-mail i can post you the photos so you can see the file is too large for here.i have detail pictures where it rubs.thanks:)
I PMd you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
franka i just e-mail you the photos let me know what do you think.thanks for all the response:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts