BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just picked by my vehicle from BMW of Sterling(VA). I have had a rattle since about 9k miles and it annoyed the hell out of me. I thought it was the rear fold down seats. Well after 3 times in and no problem found I had my tech from where I work ride in the car. My tech said what is that annoying rattle and I said I don't know they never can find it when I take it in.

So I took it to the dealer and rode with the tech. It was only happening when the body flexed over a rough road or big speed bump. I was not too hopeful they would find anything wrong. Well they said it was either coming from the differential or rear deck welds to the body. I thought to myself no way the differential is making the noise. I rode in the trunk with the seats down while my brother drove around when the problem started happening. I get a call from Brian Petaway(awesome advisor) I have worked with them all. BMW of Sterling always gets their 5's and Yes. They have a great staff. He said the regional rep is looking at the vehicle. They found the weld from the rear shelf to the body had broken.

Today the wife picked up the car and said the car does not make any noise. I cannot wait to drive my car again. I hate driving her PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
2004 330 ZHP 6MT
8 Posts
I've been similarly irritated by some rear deck noise which is audible when reversing up an incline while having to turn (imagine having to reverse up an L-shaped driveway). Seems as if the rear of the car flexes too much causing the creak from the rear deck area. I have folding rear seats (cold-weather package) and think it's related to that feature. Haven't been able to figure out what it is.

I wonder if it's the same problem AMCBimmer reported? If so, exactly where should I check for a compromised weld?

Thx
Kofi

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I have similar creak from the fold down seats as well, but I have a coupe. My moonroof makes a similar sound when slight pressure is applied to it, as when drying the car off after a wash.

I turn up the stereo cuz I know how much time I'll waste going in so the dealer can report "could not reproduce." Funny thing about the moonroof, on my first visit last year they reproduced it fine and repaired it with a new seal or something. A year later, same issue, can't seem to hear it this time. :confused:

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
I've had the same rattle on my sedan. Irritating as hell. At least it will be someone else's problem in 90 days or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.