BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bumped my rear view mirror while cleaning the windshield this evening and it popped right off (base and all). It must have been waiting to come loose, as I didn't bump it very hard. I don't want to be driving around without it, though the extra visibility is fantastic.

How do I go about reattaching it to the glass? Is there a special glue or adhesive disc of some sort?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yep - most parts places will sell rear view mirror glue

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a Permatex adhesive kit today. Unfortunately, the adhesive is clear, instead of the original black. Now I have an ugly silver dot in the middle of the windshield. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well just "knock" if of again and get some black glue..good test of how well the first stuff worked !!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I haven't had to do this in a long time, but my hazy recollection of removing a mirror mount from the windshield: a little bit of solvent (3M adhesive remover or acetone), slowly heating the mount with a heat gun, and twisting the mount with soft-jaw pliers. Careful not to pull or push and don't apply the heat too quickly.

I've seen people pry the base off of the glass with a trim removal tool, but to me it's risky (unless you need a new windshield anyway :)).

·
Registered
868 Posts
Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd give some thought to removing it again, but I'll be in the same boat if I can't find black adhesive. I guess I'll just be looking forward that much more to the day I catch a rock big enough to warrant an insurance replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts