BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The other day I found that the rounded plastic cap that covers the alarm led below the rear view mirror had fallen inside the car. It's a transparent cap for the LED attached to the lower side of the mirror frame.

A further inspection of the cap showed that 2 of the plastic hooks that keep the cap attached to the black plastic frame were broken.

I am trying to find a new plastic cap with all the hooks in place, but so far I haven't been able to find the part.

Any ideas where I could find it?

Many thanks. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
You're talking about the red clown nose. I don't believe you can purchase the nose separate from a new mirror assembly. You could try eBay and buy a BMW mirror for maybe 40 bucks and then use that clown nose on your existing mirror.

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts
As stated try epoxy or clear silicone. Good Luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As stated try epoxy or clear silicone. Good Luck
Thanks all, so I guess there is no way I can find the part alone if I can't find it on ebay..

For repairing, I have never heard of Epoxy, but I read that one of its uses is in cars. :dunno:
Is Loctite Super Glue a good alternative? I am trying to investigate this now to avoid gluing stuff that eventually will be exposed to a lot of vibrations.

Note: The cap I have is transparent white, not red. Don't know if it depends on the market (I'm in the UK).

Thanks chaps.

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts
Thanks all, so I guess there is no way I can find the part alone if I can't find it on ebay..

For repairing, I have never heard of Epoxy, but I read that one of its uses is in cars. :dunno:
Is Loctite Super Glue a good alternative? I am trying to investigate this now to avoid gluing stuff that eventually will be exposed to a lot of vibrations.

Note: The cap I have is transparent white, not red. Don't know if it depends on the market (I'm in the UK).

Thanks chaps.
Super Glue will work just as well, but hate using it as it is an immediate use, hardly time for error adjustments. As for the clown nose, most are clear and the light emits is red. Can't recall the last time I seen a red one, but both will work, so if you find either one, use it.

But as many will state the replacement mirror might be a better option. Heck you might find one with HomeLink buttons that can operate you garage opener. That would be a nice mod you could do easily

Good luck,.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Epoxy is a 2 part glue that holds like crazy. Usually comes in a twin tube syringe. You push out a quantity, mix it well, and apply to the surface to be glued. Just be careful about what kind of epoxy you buy. Some are intended for metal surfaces, some for plastics.

Works great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Epoxy is a 2 part glue that holds like crazy. Usually comes in a twin tube syringe. You push out a quantity, mix it well, and apply to the surface to be glued. Just be careful about what kind of epoxy you buy. Some are intended for metal surfaces, some for plastics.

Works great.

Oh that's interesting as apparently the UK market has different denominations for those products.

The only Loctite that seems to produce the same effects here in the UK is the Super Glue All Plastics:
http://www.loctite-consumer.co.uk/en/products/superglue-all-plastics.html

Oh dear oh dear.. Well that will make a difference. That's for pointing this out. I will certainly try and use the glue or worst case scenario I will try and find some spare parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts