BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas..
I'm getting ready to replace my rear wheel bearings. How difficult is this job? The most difficult job I have done thus far is the timing belt and water pump. What tools do I need? I have nothing except a tool box and plenty of space. How long will it take?
I have a 87 325is(manufact. 4/87)

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump for help

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
Mine weren't hard. But for you in Michigan if the car has been there a while, they may be well stuck. I used an impact, a 30mm socket, a "T" puller 2 long bolts, my "bushing knockers" (bearing drivers) and a BFH.

As for time.........Plan on a whole weekend, because you never know what'll happen.

·
Banned
137 Posts
that's a pretty big job

you gotta take the drive axles out as well as remove the brake stuff...not an easy job in my estimation...probably around $600-700 from an indy shop, parts and labor...maybe $1000 from a dealer...around $350 DIY when all is said and done....good luck...cliff

·
Registered
242 Posts
the bmw shop down the road from my house said thay would do it for around 120. i have the bearing though and thats only for one side. I did the passenger side about a month abo and it too alot of beating to get the outer race out but with some wd40 and a bfh it will come out. good luck and +1 on the hole weekend thing. it took me a few days, everything was petty stuck

good luck

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheel hub and bearing job dilemma..HELP!!!!!!

Ok, so here's my issue:

I have an 87 325is. I took her in to see about the rear wheel bearing. The guy said yeah it needs to be replaced. He quoted me a labor price of 171 to put it on for me. No problem. I take it there the following morning, sign the repair request and head on home. I get home and maybe 20 minutes later I get a call. The guy says, WE took off the tire and saw that the broken/damaged wheel bearing has also ruined your wheel hub". I say okay, what's the price of hub. He quotes me 170+. Then he says the new total is 472 because replacing the hub is a totally different job and labor time. I'm not sure I understand considering he would have had to remove the hub anyways to replace the bearing which he said can be done while still on the car.:dunno:
So, needless to say, i declined and took my car home. I went and ordered a hub for 90 bucks new and got a new bearing for 80 bucks. I'm temted to do the job myself but I'm not totally sure what tools i truly need. Can someone help me or possibly point me to a person in SOutheast Michigan who can assist me? I'd be willing to pay for the labor. Thanks in advance

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, in the pelican write up, it says remove both inner cv joints. Does that mean passenger side as well as drivers side?

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what tools do I need? Besides a BFH and a 32mm socket?

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok.. here's the update.

I purchased a bearing and hub for the driver's rear wheel. It's pretty much shot to hell, hence the replacement. The question I have is:

1- Do I put the new bearing on the new hub BEFORE installation or do i put the bearing on and then put the new hub on?

2- Is $175 a fair price for the job?

3- If I put the bearing on the hub before I pay for the job, would it really be a hub replacement job?

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i changed mine in a few hours, don't let people scare you, its not hard its just time consuming.

·
Registered
242 Posts
thjats what i thought... it waas going real easy till you punch out everything but the outer race... mine was stuck real good. its different for everyone. dont go by what one person says but +1 on the not hard thing just be ready for a BUNCH of pounding

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i changed mine in a few hours, don't let people scare you, its not hard its just time consuming.
ONe reason I decided against doing it myself is that I' not sure I have the tools or access to them. My question now is whether I put the new bearing on the new hub before I install it on the car? Hopefully I am stating this the right way? Since the twp parts are brand new, will it make the job easier? The Pelican write up has no pics so I'm not certain as to the process when I am replacing both parts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts