BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear wheel bent outward

14865 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Trinidad868
To cut a long story short I got into a little fender bender a short time ago. I have been slowly restoring my beloved E39 540i back to her prime. For some reason the rear drivers side wheel is bent outwards I took off the wheel and nothing seems to be damaged or bent. Is it possible that the hit knocked the wheel out of alignment or is my suspension damaged? Please help

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
You haven't specified if the fender bender involved any of the the rear wheels.

In any case, yes, the rear should not stick out like that with 16" rims and no spacers.

Most likely a broken control arm or worse, a cracked rear carrier. Have the suspension professionally checked.

Any easier way to tell is to see if there is excess wear pattern on the tire aside from normal camber wear on the inside. That is if you've driven it much after this fender bender.
Take a pick from directly behind the car
Sweet, 3-wheel steering!!! Is the wheel tightened down and flush against the hub?

Check control arms, subframe, subframes mounts, and wheel bearings.
The rear side of the car scraped a guard rail and I also took off the right side to check for any inconsistencies and all the control arms look to be okay.
You haven't specified if the fender bender involved any of the the rear wheels.

In any case, yes, the rear should not stick out like that with 16" rims and no spacers.

Most likely a broken control arm or worse, a cracked rear carrier. Have the suspension professionally checked.

Any easier way to tell is to see if there is excess wear pattern on the tire aside from normal camber wear on the inside. That is if you've driven it much after this fender bender.
Here's a picture from the rear
Take a pick from directly behind the car

Attachments

Maybe the subframe at the swing arm has been knocked in ....
Obviously something isn't right, and there is really no way for us to figure it out from pics. You will have go under the car and inspect each suspension part and compare it to the side that's not bent, process of elimination.
I'm not sure what looked ok means as a it doesn't take much to move a wheel out. Something noticeable would be a crack or obvious bend in angle.

Something like yours could be as little as a one inch bend in a control arm. You think you can tell a one inch bend just by looking at it?

Even most mechanics can't tell until they put it up on a alignment machine.

Take it to a trusted professional for inspection.
The rear side of the car scraped a guard rail and I also took off the right side to check for any inconsistencies and all the control arms look to be okay.
I'll take it to a mechanic and report back as to the conclusion of the problem. Thanks for the input
is your tire normal but the fender really pushed in?
The tire and wheel are normal. But the rotor is pushed out
is your tire normal but the fender really pushed in?
Hey so did u ever get the problem resolved cause I have a similar problem and was things about switching the swing arm ????
I'll take it to a mechanic and report back as to the conclusion of the problem. Thanks for the input
Hey good day - did u ever get the problem resolve - can u tell me what was the issue cause I think I have a similar problem
To cut a long story short I got into a little fender bender a short time ago. I have been slowly restoring my beloved E39 540i back to her prime. For some reason the rear drivers side wheel is bent outwards I took off the wheel and nothing seems to be damaged or bent. Is it possible that the hit knocked the wheel out of alignment or is my suspension damaged? Please help
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.