BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i nailed a curb drifting in the rain banging from 2nd to 3rd. Got the car jacked up lugnuts off ebreak off and the wheel just wont budge even took a mallet too it. I can clearly see it needs new trailing arm (its completely cracked down the middle), wishbone and sway bar link... you tell me the rest (probably ball joint?)

i am a noob in the diy community. i have only changed oil, diff and trans fluid and belts. but plan on doing this all myself to save money. what tools do i need?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,341 Posts
i nailed a curb drifting in the rain banging from 2nd to 3rd. Got the car jacked up lugnuts off ebreak off and the wheel just wont budge even took a mallet too it. I can clearly see it needs new trailing arm (its completely cracked down the middle), wishbone and sway bar link... you tell me the rest (probably ball joint?)

i am a noob in the diy community. i have only changed oil, diff and trans fluid and belts. but plan on doing this all myself to save money. what tools do i need?
Have you ever heard of "Galvanic Reaction"? That`s what happens when 2 dissimilar metals electro/chemically bond together, it`s almost like they`re welded.... best way to get those back wheels off (backs are ALWAYS worse for some reason, I think it`s because fronts are constantly turning, plus heat from the brakes) is to jack that side up until you have about an inch of daylight under the tire, then slide a 2 or 3-foot length of 4 x 4 up against the inside edge of the wheel, take the biggest hammer you can find, and SMACK the living piss outta that wood block until the wheel breaks loose from the hub flange. You may have to rotate the wheel a bit during this ordeal.

To prevent this from happening in the future, take a wire brush and thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of both the hub flange and the inside of the wheel. Be sure it`s clean, so everything seats back nice and flush and square. Smear a thin coating of white lithium grease, wheel bearing grease, or anything that will resist salt water, smear it on both mating surfaces (but NOT on your lug bolts or in the lug holes.)
Torque the wheels in 3 stages, with a final setting of 90 ft./lbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts