BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rearview mirror wobbles where it attaches to the windscreen, I can't see how it attaches, let alone some screw or other device to take up the slack. Minor problem but annoying whenever you hit a bump.

Gurus, please help

David

·
The Biggest P0st Whore!!
2,912 Posts
The mirror mounts by twisting on (it is about a 1/4 turn or so). I do not remember which way you turn it. I have not heard of anyone having problems with them but if you remove it you might be able to see why it is loose. Do not over do it. You do not want to hurt the windshield.

·
No more e34!
748 Posts
the safest waty to take it off is to smack it with the heel of your hand.
that will cause it to pop off the widnscreen, and you can tighten up the metal clips before putting it back on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. It seems that the three spring steel clips may have bent a little and do not exert sufficient pressure on the stud that is attached to the windscreen.. i was able to see those spring steel clips as the section of the mirror bracket which houses them has separated from the main mirror part. hat also may have been part of the slop or wobble.

Any thoughts about retensioning those clips or can new ones be purchased. Also in reassembling the mirror how do I make sure the two parts stay together? it appears that the three rivet like studs have lost their head by corrosion or by my hitting the mirror.

I'd like to work on the mirror on a bench but its wiring is still connected. Am reluctant to rely on superglue. Should i use a two pack "Araldite" type cement.

Again gurus, your advice please.

Regards

David

·
The Biggest P0st Whore!!
2,912 Posts
You should be able to get to the wiring through the sunroof motor cover.
I do not see the clips as a seperate part on realoem.
If you go with superglue or epoxy you will probably never get it off. You might be able to build up a bit of JB weld on the window stud to create a tigher fit. You could also bend the clips but there is a chance that they could break.

Do you think you could put some sort of washer between the mirror and the windshield to take up the play?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I confirm that there is no OEM steel pins.

Straightened them with hammer.

Used a "metallic cement" to bond the two alloy sections together. Packaging does not describe the chemical components. Clean up is with acetone.

Have refitted the mirror to the stud. No slack now but will remember the suggestion of a washer or shim to take up the slack. That would have been a lot easier.

It seems that working on the two BM's & 1 MB I have is a series of adventures. You don't know what path you are going to end up taking.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.