BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm going to need new pads soon so I was thinking, as with most mods, the best time to upgrade is when the oe part requires replacement.

Sooo, I want to upgrade, but really, big brake kits like Brembo, etc. are just too much $$$ in my opinion and not necessary unless I'm running on the track. However, I do want to upgrade (relative to the oem set up) and I have seen some drilled rotors that look reasonable $$$ and I'm not really up to speed on the better pads. Was thinking stainless brake lines while I'm at it, etc.

Would like opinions from those with the knowledge or those that have been there and done that. What would you recommend and what kind of expense?

PS, if I upgrade the rotors I want to paint the calipers black (I have black rims). Any recommendations on where that can be done and what kind of paint to use?

I know I could ask all this from one of the many vendors that sell this stuff but you guys are "actual" experience with the e39 which makes this place so great.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Get good plain rotors, Hawk pads and paint your own calipers with the kits they sell at Autozone/anyautostore.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get good plain rotors, Hawk pads and paint your own calipers with the kits they sell at Autozone/anyautostore.
Thanks - didn't know Autozone sold a kit - very nice!

So you don't think the drilled rotors offer any upgrade other than the look?

Any advantage to a larger rotor? Is there anyway to upgrade short of a brembo type kit?

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
You can try what I did:

-Zimmerman X-drilled rotors
-Axxis Deluxe pads
-Stoptech SS brake lines
-ATE superblue fluid
-painted calipers with basic black hobby paint (you'll need high-heat paint if you want to paint the rotor hats)

It changes the overall feel (less "first bite" than OEM pads, but firmer pedal), but I like it--especially the vastly reduced brake dust buildup.

The drilled rotors don't seem to do anything I can detect.

You can't mount a bigger rotor unless you upgrade the calipers--it won't fit.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just did this this past weekend; changed my pads& rotors with a fluid flush, and while the car was on jack stands, I painted my calipers.

I ordered Centric premium rotors(they come with coated black rotor hats), and Axxis Deluxe Pads from Zeckhausen Racing, and I got the black caliper paint from pepboys since my autozone only had it in red.

I did 3 coats on the calipers, and since I had so much leftover, I put another coat on top of my rotor hats for good measure.

·
PLN540
69 Posts
I also painted my calipers, like the look. Recently went with Bavarian autosport for their Cool Carbon S/T pads and their drilled rotors. I also upgraded the caliper guide pins. Significant improvement in the braking, and much smoother. When I have the brake system flushed I will add steel lines.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Hawk HPS pads like in my signature. Good fade resistance and good bite too. Minimal dust and no squealing. You can get them most places.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts