BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need an extra key. Only one came with the car and I have to replace the battery in the diamond hand piece as well, which doenst appear to be straight forward either after reading a few threads on it.

· Seek to understand,^Value
25,378 Posts
Only one came with the car and I have to replace the battery in the diamond hand piece as well
Dunno about prices in Australia (maybe you can post to this thread) ...
- For those of you outside the USA, what is DIFFERENT about DIY'ing your E39 bimmer?

But here is a set of related key threads which may help:
- How to replace the old-style BMW E39 square key battery (1) (2) (3) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the old style square keys (1) (2) & opening, charging, recoding, & battery replacement (1) of the new-style diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to recharge off your BMW and how long a BMW key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & converting the old-style square key to the newer diamond shaped key (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & proper diamond key initializing (1) (2) & what to do if your key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)

· Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,271 Posts
Does anyone know where you can get a second key for a reasonable price ? The local Australian BMW dealer is charging $615 for key.
For that price, you should be able to FLY to the USA to buy one and get a discounted vacation with the strength of the Aussie $.

Pricing in the USA is usually $150 or less at most dealers but require valid proof of registration IN PERSON.

Not sure how many here will know pricing of keys down under.

Cheers!

· Registered
15,976 Posts
There is no alternative but the dealer. There is a claim that a good locksmith can clone a key to allow the engine to start, but this is unconfirmed.

It is essential, that, when you buy one of these cars, you force the seller to produce, at very least, two master keys (the car came with four: two masters, a valet, and an emergency plastic.

The factory can supply six more.

That price is obscene!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have told me that they come from Malaysia. The issue you have is as you say, you have to go in and produce ID and proof of ownership so they order you the key. Cant exactly do that on the internet.

· Registered
244 Posts
new key

Hey Dousty, I got a new key from Bill Dodge BMW in Maine.

I will pm you the email details of the gentleman that I dealt with, all you need to do is supply the VIN, a copy of your rego papers and lincense and your good to go. Cost was about $140 delivered.

At that price I should have bought 2! :)

· Registered
6,964 Posts
Hey Dousty, I got a new key from Bill Dodge BMW in Maine.

I will pm you the email details of the gentleman that I dealt with, all you need to do is supply the VIN, a copy of your rego papers and lincense and your good to go. Cost was about $140 delivered.

At that price I should have bought 2! :)
I have had a long history of dealing with the Bill Dodge parts department and can vouch for their helpfulness and pricing. They are my Go To source for OEM parts. 25-30% off! Can't beat it!

Contact Ron Vose [email protected]. 207-854-3200

· Registered
40 Posts
i bought a replacement key a few months ago from a dealer here in the Philippines. cost (with the current forex rate) $333. and yes, they asked for the original registration papers and my drivers license. photocopies not accepted. had to wait around 2-3 weeks.

i thought our prices here are expensive. after seeing the prices in Australia, i don't feel too bad now.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks heaps Gibo. That is great news. So you just emailed him the docs and he sorted yeah ?

Anyone know where to get the best performance chip for BM's ? Best bang for buck with no issues for install.

· Registered
244 Posts
key

No worries Dousty, the Fudman has kindly listed Ron Vose's email above so just go with that. Yes, Ron is very helpful and will look after you. :thumbup: You will have to set up an account to receive up to 30% off but it is simple to do.

For us here in Australia it is only cost effectiive to buy parts that can be posted by mail, ie: small. The freight from Maine to Australia is quite expensive for larger items.

If you need any other help let me know

· Registered
244 Posts
Thanks heaps Gibo. That is great news. So you just emailed him the docs and he sorted yeah ?

Anyone know where to get the best performance chip for BM's ? Best bang for buck with no issues for install.
From memory most members advise against upgrade chips, you might improve performance better by upgrading your VANOS with Beisan seals, or get a 540i :)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.