BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The knights who say Ni!
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've accumulated 2200 fun miles on the M Roadster, the freshly acquired road chips and nicks on my spanking new ride are beginning to bother me. I never went with a clear film protection on my Z3, since I always felt it would compromise the gloss and lustre I could obtain with hours of compulsive claying, waxing, and buffing. :banghead: Although I am still not completely convinced I like the appearance of the XPel film, I have started to investigate installers and prices. For reference, the XPel website lists the bumper, hood, and side view mirror kit at approx $400. The local detail place I have used in the past (very reputable, etc) has a factory-trained installer. They want $799 and claim it will take 5-6 hours. I checked with my dealer, and they subcontract out their XPel installs. I'm not sure who the subcontractor is, but the dealer says that they are factory trained also. The dealer wants 3-4 hours and $699. Although I've had good experience with the detail place in the past, it was not with my ///M. Also, the city has completely ripped up the street outside their garage bays and there's tons of dust in the air and heavy equipment along the street. That and the lower price has me thinking I'll go with the dealer. Do these prices and time estimates seem reasonable? I did some searches on the board, but came up with nothing on prices that people have paid in the past.

·
Registered
568 Posts
DaveZ said:
Now that I've accumulated 2200 fun miles on the M Roadster, the freshly acquired road chips and nicks on my spanking new ride are beginning to bother me. I never went with a clear film protection on my Z3, since I always felt it would compromise the gloss and lustre I could obtain with hours of compulsive claying, waxing, and buffing. :banghead: Although I am still not completely convinced I like the appearance of the XPel film, I have started to investigate installers and prices. For reference, the XPel website lists the bumper, hood, and side view mirror kit at approx $400. The local detail place I have used in the past (very reputable, etc) has a factory-trained installer. They want $799 and claim it will take 5-6 hours. I checked with my dealer, and they subcontract out their XPel installs. I'm not sure who the subcontractor is, but the dealer says that they are factory trained also. The dealer wants 3-4 hours and $699. Although I've had good experience with the detail place in the past, it was not with my ///M. Also, the city has completely ripped up the street outside their garage bays and there's tons of dust in the air and heavy equipment along the street. That and the lower price has me thinking I'll go with the dealer. Do these prices and time estimates seem reasonable? I did some searches on the board, but came up with nothing on prices that people have paid in the past.
I paid $600, 4 years ago with my MCoupe for hood, lights , chin spoiler, skirts, side mirrors, front fender & rear fender & a few extra pieces to cover the underneath behind the rear tires.

I recently paid $700 to get my Mazda3 Hatch with Lights, hood, front chin spoilers & side mirrors. The time they took was about 2 hrs. & that's on a car my guy's never done be4.

But the work was flawless. In fact for that type of expense, it should be flawless & no bubbles or uneveness.

Expensive for protection but in the end you get peace of mind & professional attantion IMO. Better than going every few years to get it painted. @ some point the paint won't match! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts