Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets keep this fun, that is my goal.

1) Keeps your left leg from wasting away.

2) Builds muscles in the right arm.

3) It's fun!!!

4) No throttle lag.

5) Less complicated.

6) Better looking console.

7) More fun.

8) Way more fun!

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
The left leg can definitely find usage on 8AT, e.g. left foot braking!

The turbo spooling with 6MT can require some retraining, BMW seems to recognize that too by making rev match standard on 6MT on LCI(and cannot be disabled).

The 6MT(even with hill assist and rev match) is indeed less complicated than 8AT, but the mechatronics does provide its fun factors esp. in manual mode, so there are pros and cons. :)

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts

2) Builds muscles in the right arm.

3) It's fun!!!

4) No throttle lag.

5) Less complicated.

6) Better looking console.

7) More fun.

8) Way more fun!

I think you should continue buying MTs until you get good at driving one.

Don't be discouraged it will probably happen eventually.

:bigpimp:

·
15,956 Posts
The left leg can definitely find usage on 8AT, e.g. left foot braking!

The turbo spooling with 6MT can require some retraining, BMW seems to recognize that too by making rev match standard on 6MT on LCI(and cannot be disabled).

The 6MT(even with hill assist and rev match) is indeed less complicated than 8AT, but the mechatronics does provide its fun factors esp. in manual mode, so there are pros and cons. :)
A rev matching MT is properly termed an SMT (Semi Manual Transmission).

Are we having fun yet? :dunno:

·
15,956 Posts
And it sucks that one has to wait 2 seconds before rocking the 6MT on an incline(and also cannot be disabled). :p
I was seriously considering an MT on the M4 until I test drove one. I absolutely hated the auto rev matching.

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
I find that in everyday city driving, I drive more economically with a manual. With an automatic, the temptation is too great to floor it and step on the brakes.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,506 Posts
And it sucks that one has to wait 2 seconds before rocking the 6MT on an incline(and also cannot be disabled). :p
There's a way to get the drive-off assistance to release in less than 2 seconds but for the life of me, I can't recall it. I think perhaps the trick is to release the clutch pedal just to the bite point, then de-clutch again.

On topic:
9) The 6MT ignites more flamewars than an AT. :angel: (Sort of a subset of #8 "Way more fun" but noteworthy on its own.)

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
I find that in everyday city driving, I drive more economically with a manual. With an automatic, the temptation is too great to floor it and step on the brakes.
Economical does not factor much into how I drive my BMW, if it did I wouldn't drive a BMW. :D

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,569 Posts

This is a joke, right? BMW's hydraulic clutch is so lite as to be unnoticeable. They are fun though if nothing else.

·
Registered
310 Posts
1. keeps me from falling asleep
2. slowing down is SO much fun... practicing rev matches
3. just love the feeling of shifting

1 - 20 of 141 Posts