BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated with the latest news -

A recall has been issued by BMW AG to repair the fuel-level sensors of about 12,400 new 5-Series sedans in the US and China. Of this number, there are 6,400 cars in the US and 5,000 to 6,000 vehicles in China.

BMW spokesman Frank Strebe said that half a day will be required to replace a part of the fuel tank sensor. The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration said that a defect means that the fuel sensor could get wedged against the tank. The NHTSA said further that there is a risk of stalling because of the gas tank running on empty since the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster will display a higher amount of fuel than is actually present.

In the US, the new 5-Series that***8217;s priced from $44,550 doesn***8217;t have the flared headlights and small kidney-shaped grill of the previous version. The model started selling in Europe in late March and in the US in June. In a June 23 interview, Sales Chief Ian Robertson said that the model had sold out. As a result, customers had to wait as long as four months for deliveries.

Earlier this month, BMW had to raise its 2010 sales and earnings forecast due to the high demand for the revamped 5-Series. Rivals to this model include Mercedes***8217;s E-Class and Toyota Motor Corp.***8217;s Lexus GS. Strebe added that that there had been 10 reported incidents in the US because of the defect. The NHTSA said that the affected vehicles were made from Jan. 12 through July 1, 2010.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V331000

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2010 AND 2011 5-SERIES AND 5-SERIES GRAN TURISMO PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 12 THROUGH JULY 1, 2010. THE VEHICLE***8217;S FUEL LEVEL SENSOR WITHIN THE FUEL TANK CAN BECOME WEDGED AGAINST THE TANK.

Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE FUEL GAUGE IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WOULD DISPLAY A LARGER AMOUNT OF FUEL THAN WAS ACTUALLY IN THE TANK. AS A RESULT, IF THE TANK BECAME EMPTY, THE VEHICLE COULD STALL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
BMW HAS NOT YET PROVIDED THE AGENCY WITH A REMEDY PLAN AND NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION***8217;S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
After seeing that I contacted my dealer but they had no idea about it? :mad: So I been going around to any 5 series forums I can find to poll how many people have been contacted about this recall or have had it actually done.

I am non too happy about this having just picked up my car last week and it might already need to go back for a recall :mad:

Would appreciate everyone's feedback. And if this is your first time hearing about the recall make sure to check with your dealers.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My car just came in, it was held up at the port. It's not a major thing.......defective part overestimated fuel level. I could be on other models too. Probably a bad batch not a design flaw. Fill up tank and track mileage until they fix it for you

·
Registered
562 Posts
Its a little bit more involved than that. You could be under the impression that you have more gas than is actually in the tank, and stall. Just be cognizant of your fuel level. I suggest not letting it go below a 1/4 tank, and if you see the following message "engine malfunction - reduced power" contact your service advisor immediately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuel Sensor

Let me assure you this is a major issue. My gauge read 1/2 a tank and the car stopped cold.....you guessed it....out of gas. Assist towed it to the dealership where they put a gallon of gas in the car. It cranked right up. It did not occur to me the car needed gas with 1/2 a tank reading.

Doug Chaffins
Marietta GA
2011 535i
2001 535i (187,000 wonderful miles)

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Let me assure you this is a major issue. My gauge read 1/2 a tank and the car stopped cold.....you guessed it....out of gas. Assist towed it to the dealership where they put a gallon of gas in the car. It cranked right up. It did not occur to me the car needed gas with 1/2 a tank reading.

Doug Chaffins
Marietta GA
2011 535i
2001 535i (187,000 wonderful miles)
I had a 1976 Celica that had the fuel gauge go bad at about 100K, so I kept track of the miles and avoided running out of gas. One could reasonably expect a new 60+G bimmer to out do a '76 Celica with 100K in the fuel gauge department.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 535 is in now for more work to correct the steering pull problem but when I took it in they said that they had the parts and were going to replace the fuel sensor also. I had never gotten any notification that my car was one specifically involved but I had called it to the dealers attention and asked for it to be checked on. Obviously they did and I appreciate it. At least one problem solved!

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 535 is in now for more work to correct the steering pull problem but when I took it in they said that they had the parts and were going to replace the fuel sensor also. I had never gotten any notification that my car was one specifically involved but I had called it to the dealers attention and asked for it to be checked on. Obviously they did and I appreciate it. At least one problem solved!
When was your car manufactured?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My car was an early build. It was ordered in the first week of April and was in So. Carolina by mid-May. It stayed there until mid-July when I finally took delivery. I never did see any list of build dates or serial numbers that were marked for the replacement.

Ron

·
Registered
128 Posts
My car was an early build. It was ordered in the first week of April and was in So. Carolina by mid-May. It stayed there until mid-July when I finally took delivery. I never did see any list of build dates or serial numbers that were marked for the replacement.

Ron
I "think" I saw a thread on this forum in mid July that talked about cars that were manufactured after July xx would not be affected. My car was built on July 22nd. I just filled up for the first time. The guage showed a 1/4 of a tank. It took about 3/4 of a tank before the auto shut off on the pump clicked on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I certainly would suggest that you be in contact with your dealer with your information. I have not seen any other postings that indicate a actual replacement available till now. There is no question that you can get more information about problems and fixes on these forums than you can from BMW. I really hope that my steering problems also get fixed on this dealer visit. Either way after the experiences this car has provided with BMW customer service or lack of it, this will absolutely be my last BMW!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I haven't seen anything recently about this recall so I was waiting to see what happens. Yesterday I received a "courtesy call" from my sales rep to see how I like the car after over 2 months and if I had any questions. I asked him about the recall and he acted totally surprised and stated he had heard nothing about it but he would check with the guys in Service. Not 2 minutes after hanging up with him I received another call from the same number. I thought it was the rep but it was the Service scheduler telling me my car had just sent him a signal that I needed the fuel sensor recall performed. He had not even spoken to the sales guy yet...I assume just a coincidence. Anyway, I don't know if any others of you have received the call yet but the recall is real and the repair cycle is underway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Below is the recall announcement from NHTSA website:

Report Date: September 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM
Search Type: VEHICLE
Make: BMW
Model: 5-SERIES
Model Year: 2011

Make: BMW Model: 5-SERIES
Model Year: 2011
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: JUL 21, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V331000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:FUEL GAUGE SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 6080
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2010 AND 2011 5-SERIES AND 5-SERIES GRAN TURISMO PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 12 THROUGH JULY 1, 2010. THE VEHICLE'S FUEL LEVEL SENSOR WITHIN THE FUEL TANK CAN BECOME WEDGED AGAINST THE TANK.
Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE FUEL GAUGE IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WOULD DISPLAY A LARGER AMOUNT OF FUEL THAN WAS ACTUALLY IN THE TANK. AS A RESULT, IF THE TANK BECAME EMPTY, THE VEHICLE COULD STALL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN LATE SEPTEMBER 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Had my 535i in to the dealer for a post break in oil change and to correct a few minor issues. They checked the service record and we saw my car had had the fuel sensor replaced at the VPC when it landed in Brunswick on 8/31 (ED 7/21). Works fine and I never would have known had the question not been raised here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had mine done about 2 months ago (see my post from 9/16) and no problems whatsoever since it was completed. Good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.