BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a mail from BMW of north America saying about a recall something related to vehicles lower anchor bars for use in attaching child restraint systems. does all X3 owners from 2011- 2016 got this?

any ideas or suggestions about this recall.

Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
We've also got a letter for our '13. I didn't even know such car seats (with rails that go in) existed. The proposed fix sounds kind of scary, some reinforcing bracket to be welded to the body? Not sure that I want to do that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our kids are out of seats that are anchored in via LATCH, but my feeling on this is "might as well get it done", especially if you own the car. I'd feel bad about trying to sell a car with a known open recall, especially related to the safety of children.

If you're leasing it and don't have car seats that anchor in, then you probably can safely ignore.

That's how I feel, at least!

-Craig

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After seeing the procedure its looks like a big task and major work, which made me to think if i really need that to be done on my car. but again as said earlier it may effect the resale value of the car if its not done.

okay i m wondering its all done for free of cost isn't regardless of whether our car is under factory warranty or not?

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
After seeing the procedure its looks like a big task and major work, which made me to think if i really need that to be done on my car. but again as said earlier it may effect the resale value of the car if its not done.

okay i m wondering its all done for free of cost isn't regardless of whether our car is under factory warranty or not?
It's no cost to you. Recalls are paid by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Looks like about to be getting a service loaner for several days while they figure out how to do some welding and painting:) Or give up and point to a body shop to do this recall work.
(The X3 telematics box already texted the BMW server to order some new brakes. The dealer called the next morning to say bring it in.)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

I got a mail from BMW of north America saying about a recall something related to vehicles lower anchor bars for use in attaching child restraint systems. does all X3 owners from 2011- 2016 got this?

any ideas or suggestions about this recall.

Thanks
Had my 2016 F25 done two weeks ago along with two other owners the same day. We dropped off our cars in the morning were given rental cars for the day and my car was ready for pick-up by 3 pm.

My dealer's body shop has been scheduling these repairs on the same day every week and have an assembly line process set up to complete the repair including additional fixtures they made to ensure that the car interior is completely protected and returned in new condition.

This restraint bracket from the factory is welded to an internal cross-bracing reinforcing web so the back side of it is not exposed to the exterior underbody of the car which was my concern. Therefore, welding of the reinforcing bracket has no effect on the corrosion proofing applied to the underbody of the car.

On return of my car, a very close and detailed inspection could not find a mark anywhere other than a small dust smudge mark on a door seal that could have been there when I dropped the car off. There was a slight odour from the corrosion proofing they apply to the repaired bracket which was gone the following morning.

My only complaints was the complete lack of detailed information available from BMW Canada, North America and the dealer about the repair process. I spent almost half a day on the phone trying to find out if these brackets were welded to an exterior portion of the unibody or just a part of the internal structure and got nowhere. I was concerned that the heat from the welding would burn off any external rustproofing.

The morning I dropped off the car the body shop manager provided a very good verbal description of the repair process and later that day the Service Manager provided a paper copy of the repair process available on this thread. All of my concerns could have been addressed up front if BMW had been more forthcoming with details about the repair process. When someone says they're going to weld four brackets to the interior of your band new car alarm bells go off for anyone who knows anything about welding.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I do not have any child seats in my 2016 X3 and just received the letter. I plan to ignore this. I even hope that the dealership does not bring it up when I take it for service late this year. Just afraid that the work that needs to be done requires a lot of disassembly and that could lead to creaks and rattles... I lease the X3 so I do not care about resale... I doubt they would get me on the open recall not being taken care of when I do the turn in in 2.5 years...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mde83, what happens if you sell your car to someone with babies, would you feel good about it. Maybe you will get a free car wash, I'm trying to be nice

·
Registered
679 Posts
The recall is "mandatory." Since I have a new grandchild I had the recall done. BMW took the car to a good body shop for seat removal and weld. Can't tell it was done. It was not an option for me - I had to have it done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A recall is done because it's a safety issue, u got it done because you want to keep your family safe, would you do it if someone else's babies might use the car in the future?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mde83, what happens if you sell your car to someone with babies, would you feel good about it. Maybe you will get a free car wash, I'm trying to be nice
Seriously guy? I have NO babies in this car, and it is LEASED for 3 years (as I said in my earlier post). Assuming I do not have this recall done, the dealer will be required to before re-selling it. So I will not be harming any unsuspecting parents or babies... Peace...

·
Registered
679 Posts
A recall is done because it's a safety issue, u got it done because you want to keep your family safe, would you do it if someone else's babies might use the car in the future?
Yes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts