BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thank you Tim.

Wow... Disassemble the entire rear of the car, weld and hope nothing inside the car gets damaged, put on some felt pad that will peel off after a month in the AZ sun and hope for the best? BMW has to be joking with this repair...

Bye bye new car smell and hello rattles and gouged leather.
Disassembling the rear is no big deal. If you'd ever done it, you'd know that. Usually, you just lift the seat bottom, and it just pops up. The rest doesn't look bad either. Only risks are from welding splatter IMO. And if you ever take apart your car, you'd see there's already lots of felt in various areas to prevent squeaks, so that in and of itself isn't again something to freak out about.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Having a grandchild, so not an option for me not to fix. Called BMW dealer - they'll have it done with my oil service in a month. PIA, but what can you do?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Disassembling the rear is no big deal. If you'd ever done it, you'd know that. Usually, you just lift the seat bottom, and it just pops up. The rest doesn't look bad either. Only risks are from welding splatter IMO. And if you ever take apart your car, you'd see there's already lots of felt in various areas to prevent squeaks, so that in and of itself isn't again something to freak out about.
For us, the Techs are doing the disassembly. The cars are then sent to a BMW approved body shop that sets it up for and does the welding. The right people doing the right job.

Michael

·
Registered
679 Posts
For us, the Techs are doing the disassembly. The cars are then sent to a BMW approved body shop that sets it up for and does the welding. The right people doing the right job.

Michael
Michael, I have a dumb question - I have a 2013 with a VIN that qualifies for the recall. The summary states that "Vehicles have been equipped with lower anchor bars for use in attaching child restraint systems which if specifically used with European ISOFIX-type-rigid style connector child restraint systems, could become damaged during vehicle operation. Question is do US cars have a "European ISOFIX connector system?" You said this is a mandatory recall - with a new grandchild on the way, I'm thinking I have to have this done. Correct??

·
Enjoying our X3 and i3.
279 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Michael, I have a dumb question - I have a 2013 with a VIN that qualifies for the recall. The summary states that "Vehicles have been equipped with lower anchor bars for use in attaching child restraint systems which if specifically used with European ISOFIX-type-rigid style connector child restraint systems, could become damaged during vehicle operation. Question is do US cars have a "European ISOFIX connector system?" You said this is a mandatory recall - with a new grandchild on the way, I'm thinking I have to have this done. Correct??
Yes, the ISOFIX system is used in the European and U.S. spec vehicles. It used to be called the LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers CHildseat System) but now the ISOFIX system is used.

Same purpose, slightly different design, I assume.

Michael

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes, the ISOFIX system is used in the European and U.S. spec vehicles. It used to be called the LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers CHildseat System) but now the ISOFIX system is used.

Same purpose, slightly different design, I assume.

Michael
So even though the Graco infant seat bases are listed on their website as LATCH equipped/compatible, I need to have the ISOFIX recall done on my 2013 x3, correct? My VIN is listed as requiring a recall.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So even though the Graco infant seat bases are listed on their website as LATCH equipped/compatible, I need to have the ISOFIX recall done on my 2013 x3, correct? My VIN is listed as requiring a recall.
I'm saying yes because Graco probably hasn't caught up with the use of ISOFIX.

The bottom line is that the lower anchor in some X3 and X4 VINs could fail. So they need to be bolstered.

I don't think there is any harm in getting it done in your case.

Michael

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm saying yes because Graco probably hasn't caught up with the use of ISOFIX.

The bottom line is that the lower anchor in some X3 and X4 VINs could fail. So they need to be bolstered.

I don't think there is any harm in getting it done in your case.

Michael
Thanks for the input Michael. I will get it done when I do my oil service next month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what it's worth, I just picked up my new 2016 X3 on Thursday after they did the recall. Everything looks great, can't find any evidence of work done except for a few stray 'fire resistant fibers' leftover from the blankets. I wouldn't worry too much about this, they've got it down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Having mine done today as my son's car seat uses these anchors. Hopefully it's all put back perfectly and noise free after.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Completely disagree, and of course that is your opinion.

Seat bottoms on most cars just pop out so yes agree with you, the rest of it however is a different ball game. Plenty of felt everywhere in all cars, totally get that. Not wrapped like this though. This fix hasn't been extensively tested the way every other portion of the car is. Would be curious to see what the 2017 X3 factory fix looks like...

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,518 Posts
He is correct on the disassembly, takes all of 10-15 minutes to have the upper/lower seats out and the vehicle ready for masking. BMW pays only 24 minutes to remove and install the seat backs under warranty, and since the seat bottoms must be removed to gain access to the lower mounting bolts that labor op includes both upper and lower seat sections.

The masking procedure to cover the interior with flame retardant cloth takes a bit longer, but it all comes down to attention to detail. Any body guy can tell you the key to masking is taking the time to do it right, 3 minutes extra masking can save you hours of fix time later because your masking was incomplete.

Seat bottoms on most cars just pop out so yes agree with you, the rest of it however is a different ball game. Plenty of felt everywhere in all cars, totally get that. Not wrapped like this though. This fix hasn't been extensively tested the way every other portion of the car is. Would be curious to see what the 2017 X3 factory fix looks like...
Ask, and you shall receive!

2017 X3, production date 04/2016.

Factory install, the recall was not performed at the port on this particular vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts

Maybe you should just lemon law your car, since you are so worried. :p

Seriously though, As a few others here have also pointed out, it's not that big of a deal to get your panties in a bunch over... There are way worse things that should worry you, in terms of work being done on a car, than this...

I'd be a lot more worried about transmission work, taking apart an engine, etc. than this.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Ask, and you shall receive!

2017 X3, production date 04/2016.

Factory install, the recall was not performed at the port on this particular vehicle.
Thanks God! Very helpful

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks God! Very helpful
So now that you see how it comes from factory with the fix is the same as the repair method, does it meet your standards? Maybe you should contact BMW and tell them your thoughts. :rolleyes:

Wow... put on some felt pad that will peel off after a month in the AZ sun and hope for the best? BMW has to be joking with this repair...

Bye bye new car smell and hello rattles and gouged leather.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
So now that you see how it comes from factory with the fix is the same as the repair method, does it meet your standards? Maybe you should contact BMW and tell them your thoughts. :rolleyes:
A Visit to spartanburg would be required to determine that.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts