Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any 7 series 2016- to present have a display key programmed to it???just bought one wondering if I***8217;ll have a problem getting my dealership to program it ???

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any reason why you want the display key? I have one and have never used it. It's too bulky. My G12 friends also don't care for it and leave it at home or in the center console.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,474 Posts
If you don't have remote control parking, the display key provides no functionality beyond a regular key and the BMW connected app. In fact, the app provides more options for remote control. If you do have remote control parking, the display key is essential.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It can not be added to the 2019 if the remote control package was not included on the car. I loved the display key that came with the 2017 I had, and my dealer inadvertently forgot to include the remote control option on my 2019 760 order so I could not get the display key. For those of you that do not see the value, on weekends I only carried my display key around. M-F I would have to carry my ring of office keys etc, but it was nice to leave the ring of keys at home on the weekend and just grab my display key.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
179 Posts
It does not offer anything you can get with the BMW Connected app. But it is a self-contained reasonably nice key, which is both slightly larger than the standard key but also with the display and more functionality. I personally prefer it over the standard key, and this is the one I carry while the standard key stays home.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If it were thinner than the standard key, I wouldn't mind carrying it. But, it is, so it sits on my dresser. I also don't use the remote parking feature since I don't park in tight spots and I view info about my car on the ConnectedDrive app on my phone. So, it is pretty useless for me.

It can not be added to the 2019 if the remote control package was not included on the car. I loved the display key that came with the 2017 I had, and my dealer inadvertently forgot to include the remote control option on my 2019 760 order so I could not get the display key. For those of you that do not see the value, on weekends I only carried my display key around. M-F I would have to carry my ring of office keys etc, but it was nice to leave the ring of keys at home on the weekend and just grab my display key.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
442 Posts
I can say that I have two display keys, one came with the car and the other came when I added the remote parking. I never carried the first display key because of its size. If I need to limit the number of keys I carried, I would just remove the key fob from the key ring and put in my pocket. I added a leather carrier to my remove parking display fob and now I just clip on my belt loop and never worry about it.

Long story short, I agree that the smart key fob adds no real value and now that I know what I know, I would not make a special effort to get one. If someone want to add remote parking, I would say yes, but I think it is more of a novelty than a necessary. I never parking in tight spaces or have I walked out to my car and there a big truck parked on each side of me. It is great for parking in my garage but it is time consuming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts