BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue that BMW is having difficulty finding an answer to (I have not found an answer searching the forum). I picked up my 2005 330Ci two days ago :thumbup: . I have the Premium Pkg. with Assist and Bluetooth and Nav., SAT Radio. I have a Motorola V710 with the latest software.

The Motorola phonebook uploads everytime I get in the vehicle instantly. I see it in the Nav. screen and it says "Motorola Phonebook". When I give it the voice command "name dial" it says "phone book is empty". I understand that it has different phonebooks but I do not know how to save it to the car. It will accept "Number Dial" and "Help". The system is working, it just needs to have it stored on the car.

I have about 250 numbers in the phone book and I can't scroll through all of those while driving. Help anybody?

Also, I have read on the forum that you can have voice commands for the Nav. functions, can't figure that out either.

· Registered
167 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the problem you've having, but maybe..

You have to set-up the name dialing in the BMW for each person, it doesn't voice dial your existing phone's phonebook.

As for the nav, you should be able to give it "navigation", and it will jump to nav.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's to bad that you can't save the phone book from the phone into the car. Maybe in a year as I understand that they change menus continuously.

The "Navigation" command does not work.

· Registered
5,932 Posts
I don't personally have a bluetooth phone, but customers have told me that uploading the phone book from the phone to the car takes forever. One of them told me that he left his phone in his car for 4 hours and it still wasn't done. He had 150+ phone numbers in his phone.

· There and back again
2,623 Posts
philippek said:
I don't personally have a bluetooth phone, but customers have told me that uploading the phone book from the phone to the car takes forever. One of them told me that he left his phone in his car for 4 hours and it still wasn't done. He had 150+ phone numbers in his phone.
It depends on the phone as well as the particular Bluetooth option fitted in the car. My PAZR V3 phonebook (50 entries) loads within 30 seconds of pairing (387 ULF).

The car's voice activated phonebook is separate from the phone's phonebook. The phone's phonebook, even when transferred to the car via Bluetooth pairing, isn't accessible to the car's voice command interface.

· Registered
8,402 Posts
xemo said:
I have an issue that BMW is having difficulty finding an answer to (I have not found an answer searching the forum). I picked up my 2005 330Ci two days ago :thumbup: . I have the Premium Pkg. with Assist and Bluetooth and Nav., SAT Radio. I have a Motorola V710 with the latest software.

The Motorola phonebook uploads everytime I get in the vehicle instantly. I see it in the Nav. screen and it says "Motorola Phonebook". When I give it the voice command "name dial" it says "phone book is empty". I understand that it has different phonebooks but I do not know how to save it to the car. It will accept "Number Dial" and "Help". The system is working, it just needs to have it stored on the car.

I have about 250 numbers in the phone book and I can't scroll through all of those while driving. Help anybody?

Also, I have read on the forum that you can have voice commands for the Nav. functions, can't figure that out either.
I don't see anywhere in you post that you have the BMW SES Voice Activation module installed in your car, which is the only way to voice dial thru the car to your phone... the voice dial feature of the phone is not designed to be shared by the car phone system, that's the SES function.

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/BMW Voice Control.pdf

So for you to voice dial your phonebook you will have to buy this SES module and then train it (yes, record all 250 names and their respective phone numbers) by voice for your module to recognize them.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The system uploads my 250 numbers in five to ten seconds. No problem there. I am using the BMW recommended phone Motorola V 710.

The car is brand new and build completion date was the very end of March 2005. I was under the impression that I do not need SES as the Assist and Bluetooth work together now. I can "number dial" and "name dial" as long as I enter it separately. I understand that now and that works. From your previous post, It looks like I can use the name dial directly from the Motorola phonebook and that will also allow me to use the navigation commands if I add the SES module. Is that correct?

I look at the on line manual and those commands do not work.

· Registered
167 Posts
Technic said:
So for you to voice dial your phonebook you will have to buy this SES module and then train it (yes, record all 250 names and their respective phone numbers) by voice for your module to recognize them.
Good point, he has a 2005, so he needs to add SES and then will be able to do voice with the newly trained phone book. Also, the voice phone book needs to have both the name and the number memorized, it doesn't even point to existing phone phonebook entries.

· Registered
8,402 Posts
xemo said:
The system uploads my 250 numbers in five to ten seconds. No problem there. I am using the BMW recommended phone Motorola V 710.

The car is brand new and build completion date was the very end of March 2005. I was under the impression that I do not need SES as the Assist and Bluetooth work together now. I can "number dial" and "name dial" as long as I enter it separately. I understand that now and that works. From your previous post, It looks like I can use the name dial directly from the Motorola phonebook and that will also allow me to use the navigation commands if I add the SES module. Is that correct?

I look at the on line manual and those commands do not work.
... they do not work because you need to install this: http://www.x5world.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=10 :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.