Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New z4 owner. Ready to change my oil. I have read so many threads on what oils are good and which are bad and now I'm beyond confused :dunno::eek:. What oil is needed to ensure a long engine life? I currently have 55K miles on the car and live in Texas so the summers are pretty brutal. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Easiest choice is to use BMW 5W30. After that you want to use BMW LL-01 rated oils.

Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W30

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula 5W30

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 (rumored to be what BMW is now using for BMW 5W-30)

·
bmw addict
1,345 Posts
Retailers like ECS and Bavarian auto will ship you BMW oil, filter and gaskets as a kit. Comes right to your front door and its exactly what you need no guessing.

·
The Arkleyologist
574 Posts
BMW recently stopped using Castrol as their oil supplier and switched to Shell...I have always been a Castrol aficionado, so have been using Castrol products now.

·
David Bilton
109 Posts
You will no doubt receive almost as many suggestions as there are oil types available. My own choice was for AMSOIL 5W40 as my car is used only in mild weather and stored inside in winter. Filter supplied by BMW dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased from the dealership for this oil change, but I'm going to be looking for a cheaper alternative considering it was almost $80 for 7 quarts OUCH!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
David Bilton
109 Posts
I purchased from the dealership for this oil change, but I'm going to be looking for a cheaper alternative considering it was almost $80 for 7 quarts OUCH!

My cost for 7 qts of Amsoil was CAD 74.81 including 8.60 sales tax, 1.26 environmental fee, and 11.40 delivery to my home = 53.55 for the oil alone which would be around 40.00 USD, so yes, 80.00 sounds rich.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My cost for 7 qts of Amsoil was CAD 74.81 including 8.60 sales tax, 1.26 environmental fee, and 11.40 delivery to my home = 53.55 for the oil alone which would be around 40.00 USD, so yes, 80.00 sounds rich.
This may be a silly question, but is there a website that lists all the motor oils and the manufacturer approval codes for them?

·
David Bilton
109 Posts
This may be a silly question, but is there a website that lists all the motor oils and the manufacturer approval codes for them?

just ask Mister Google: bmw z4 approved oil
and you will see lots of info to really confuse you.

·
Living the Dream
2015 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Terra Brown
69 Posts
I favor Mobil 1, but oil is so good nowadays that it's hard to go wrong with any top-tier full synthetic. You can pick what is least expensive and still be assured it will last well beyond a 5000 mile change interval.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts

Not that I've found. Lots of good info about motor oil on the Bob is the Oil Guy website, but I believe his site is sponsored by Pennzoil so you have to take oil brand recommendations with that in mind. The general info is pretty neutral and informative though.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/

·
Registered
151 Posts
Go to ECS tuning and get a 5 liter jug of 5w-30 LIQUI-MOLY in the blue container and get an additional 2 liter containers. It is bmw-ll01 approved. About 50 bucks total in oil. An additional 5 for the MANN filter. Let's say your total is about $60 for a complete quality oil change. They also let you build your own kit. I don't recommend you use the castrol edge or mobil one since they aren't bmw approved anymore.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
David Bilton
109 Posts
LiquiMoly is good stuff - I used it in my Jaguar XK8. In my Z4 and my Miata I am now using Amsoil, as I get it cheap from a friend who is a dealer.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Don't get hung up on brand too much, use any synthentic 5W-30 (or any of the grades mentioned by DC Wright above), but change oil & filter REGULARLY. It's not the brand of oil that ruins engines, it's the lack of oil changes.
I change the oil + filter every 12 months with a fully synthetic 5W-30, and pay a bit more for a filter from BMW as I've seen some problems with fit of other filter brands in the Z4.
I've usually been lucky enough to pick up Castrol Edge Titanium when on special (up to 50% off) and just save them to the next oil change as they last plenty long enough if unopened.
Make sure your filter comes with a replacement sump plug washer, or you'll be doing the whole job again.... :D

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Swear by Liqui-Moly.....5w40. Great oil.
Only the Top Tec 4200 5W30, Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40, and Special Tech LL 5W30 are BMW LL-01 approved. Have you been able to get one of those?

Edit: Looks like Amazon has the Top Tec 4200 for $53 for the 5 Liter jug and it's Prime eligible so free shipping.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts