BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of threads on replacement CA fobs for an 07 328i. I bought the car used, and there's no chance of getting the dealer to foot the bill for an extra. My local dealer wants 301 for the key, 63 for programming and another 150 for programming the CA. Now that the state taxes labor, it will be close to 550 for a key, which is ludicrous. The two ideas I've seen that appear to make the most sense are to shop dealers, or to call BMW direct (guys said they have 10 keys programmed and track replacements). If anyone knows a way to save a couple bucks, I'd sure appreciate knowing. I hate having just one fob, and I know if I don't do the CA programming, I'll be kicking myself over and over in the future. Because it's BMW, I would expect to be in the $300 range, just not over $500. I think the local dealer puffs parts prices to customers too, so that's probably a factor.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Scott
97 328ic, 07 328i

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If it's only about having a spare key, get a valet key from dealer.

Also it's not a must to code the CA on the car. The new key would work as a regular remote key with no CA functions. In fact I use it as an advantage. If I drive to a less safe area I use my nonCA key since the other can be tricked easily.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Lots to learn. Looks like I'm going to be out 500 bucks pretty much any way I do it if I include CA. I plan to drive this one a long time, so may have to bite the bullet. I just hate to say 'Ouch" ........

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,658 Posts
... call BMW direct (guys said they have 10 keys programmed and track replacements).
:bs: Urban myth.

You can have as many keys made as you want or can afford; no one tracks them. However, the car's anti-theft hardware limits the total number of keys that can be paired to the car and the number that can be active (usable) at any one time. This allows one, for example, to have a lost key deactivated, replaced by a new key and then re-enable the old key as well if it is recovered later.

Full explanation here.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
I purchased the spare plastic "surfer's key" which just has a microchip without the electronics.

The key came from BMW, it took a day or two to get, and there was no programming involved.

The plastic key will open the doors and glovebox. There is an adapter to use the key in the key slot to start the car.

I just use it to lock the glovebox where I leave my license and house keys -- but it will start the car. I've been using it for several years now and it has held up pretty well. It's cheap enough -- I don't recall the price -- that ir won't break the bank if it breaks.

I think these plastic keys came standard on E46s and 2006 (only) E90s in the US.

You can still go low-tech, sort of, with the E90.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. I'll check the options. I'm still new to all this fancy technology. all my cars used old fashioned keys until this one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts