BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've owned quite a few cars in my day, but I just recently joined the Bimmer family. It's a bone stock 2013 328i (other than some new wheels that I just put on it) and while its got good pick up, I'd really like for it to be quicker.

What are your recommendations for upgrades under $1000 that will make this car faster?

p.s. - I did a cursory search but didn't really find what I was looking for. However, I'm sure this has been discussed before, so feel free to point me to other threads that I may not have seen.

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Premium gas. For a few dollars a month, you will be able to go a tiny bit faster. You might not notice it, though.

Tires. You will be able to drive a little faster by utilizing the potential of the car.

That's $1000.

Tuner will probably make it a bit faster, too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
So, I've owned quite a few cars in my day, but I just recently joined the Bimmer family. It's a bone stock 2013 328i (other than some new wheels that I just put on it) and while its got good pick up, I'd really like for it to be quicker.

What are your recommendations for upgrades under $1000 that will make this car faster?

p.s. - I did a cursory search but didn't really find what I was looking for. However, I'm sure this has been discussed before, so feel free to point me to other threads that I may not have seen.
Be extremely careful upgrading the 328. Personally I wouldn't go with anything more than a Dinan Dinantronics Sport or a Burger stage 1. After spending lots of time on the forums I've come to the conclusion that the risk/reward on the N20 engine isn't worth it. Do your research and know the risks before doing anything. The link below is a good place to start.

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d440-0010-dinantronics-sport-performance-tuner-for-bmw-n20-n26-n55-engines/?series=3-Series&mid=1182/

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Wait...this was a joke??? SH!T - I just spent $1000 on 48 M stickers! :mad:
I like your sense of humor. So, I am NOT kidding. You want your car to be exponentially faster? It will cost you a lot of money. Each HPDE weekend costs somewhere from $800 - $1,000 depending on your car/price of admission and you need at least 10 of them if normal driver. If you are undiscovered hotshoe talent, you will need 9 1/2.

So, not cheap. But I will personally guarantee you will be the fastest car on the road after that. As long as said road has corners, that is. Comes a straight line, horses take over. Do you eat hay for breakfast? :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like your sense of humor. So, I am NOT kidding. You want your car to be exponentially faster? It will cost you a lot of money. Each HPDE weekend costs somewhere from $800 - $1,000 depending on your car/price of admission and you need at least 10 of them if normal driver. If you are undiscovered hotshoe talent, you will need 9 1/2.

So, not cheap. But I will personally guarantee you will be the fastest car on the road after that. As long as said road has corners, that is. Comes a straight line, horses take over. Do you eat hay for breakfast? :)
I have a 2016 Boxster S with a normally aspirated six and 6MT. My wife asked to take a spin in it with the top down yesterday. Put the sport exhaust and sport suspension on and gave it a go. When we got home, her comment was "nice car, but my 340i x-drive is faster." What can I say - on a 0-60 scale, she's right. :cry:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agreed with advice about sports suspension. This won't make the car faster per se; it will allow you to corner without slowing down as much. So, overall, a trip will take less time even if the car's top speed does not change.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think most people would say make it faster would always be a 0-60 or a "seat of the pants" test. Sure, the best mod is.. to be a better driver... And then of course, handling .. but if we're talking about stoplight to stoplight, which I think most people are in for.. to me the things that would only make it "faster" is.

1) jb4 or dinan .. which basically changes the BOOST.. so once it goes, then it'll go faster.
2) the exhaust... now this one.. doesn't really make it go faster, but it'll make you "feel" like you're going faster. (Yes ricer.. but I've always enjoyed it).
3) Intakes.. of course this one is going to be debated, but it helps in a way with top end.. but sound at the same time. So this goes with #2 .. sounding/feeling faster helps.

In the end the only real power added will be option 1. There's nothing else.... except! Maybe a sprint booster/pedal box. This merely can intercept the pedal signal so that it'll feel more sensitive... so pushing the pedal less will give you more throttle.. which I'm told the N20 is pretty prone to this problem. I can feel this with my wife's new X1.. it feels slower to respond and less torquey than a normal 4 cyl turbo..

Have fun.. put some M stickers too, it'll certainly get in your head. But.. no joke, if you get into two identical cars, one with more umm loud/agressive tones, you'll feel like you're going faster. Maybe 1-3 hp more as well.. but there's no way to butt dyno that.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
When we got home, her comment was "nice car, but my 340i x-drive is faster." What can I say - on a 0-60 scale, she's right. :cry:
Well, you can always have your instructor take her out for couple of hot laps in that Boxster S, then ask her if her 340 xi is faster. On a second thought, don't. She might sue you for unusual and cruel punishment :)

Seriously, though, it is very hard to tell people today that money spent on 981 in S version is well spent. Even GTI feels faster. But it is far from it. Heck, even without looking at lap times, I got passed by only one car on my frist HPDE with Cayman - and he ended up moved to A after first session. And that was my FIRST time with that car on track. There is at least 5 more seconds to shave like nothing when I get more comfortable and I am already going quite a bit faster than I ever did in my E92. Trust me, 340 xi is nowhere near as fast as 981 S, with or without roof :)

Tell her to wake us up when she gets M3/M4 - then we can talk :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Eat it? No

Smoke it? ...not since college. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.