Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 Z4 3.0SI

Being the sport model, it calls for (and has)
225/40 R18 - front
255/35 R18 - rear

__

Generally speaking, I'm a diehard Michelin guy, always found them to be the smoothest/quietest ride. I have Michelins for all my cars (summer and winter sets)

But I know this car is different, rides different, handles different, etc.
Presently, it has Continental ExtremeContact Sport's that came with it - and they are past their prime.
I need to find my baby a new set of slippers.

What Brand/Model do y'all use/recommend?

·
your average JAMF
1,220 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Expensive, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Presently, it has Continental ExtremeContact Sport's that came with it - and they are past their prime.
I need to find my baby a new set of slippers.

What Brand/Model do y'all use/recommend?
I bought my 2006 3.0Si in 2015 and it had a mismatched, incorrectly sized all-seasons on it. I bought the Continental ExtremeContact and have been happy with them but then, I had nothing to compare them too. I did suffer a torn sidewall when I hit something but as luck would have it, I was still inside the Tirerack road-hazard warranty so the replacement was free. The tow and mounting, etc., cost me about $75 though.

My Z4 is a 7 month car so the tires will be past their expiration date long before I wear them out.

·
Living the Dream
2015 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Terra Brown
69 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Expensive, but worth every penny.
^ This. I have these tires and love the grip. You have to get them warmed up, but once you do you'll be very pleased.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the same car only 2007. I agree (and have) with the Michelin***8217;s recommended above. And make sure you get alignment checked afterwards.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
I have Conti' DW's (previous generation) on my beater and Michelin PSS's (previous generation) on my 535i. The Michelin's wear evenly with less pressure (closer to the door decal's recommended). I have to really goose up the DW's to get them to wear evenly. That makes them ride rough. At the door decal pressure, they wear on the inside and outside edges of the tread (classic under-inflation).

I think the $70 Michelin rebate expired Saturday, though. It will be back soon.

The tire companies are having price wars on high performance tires. I paid less for my 19" PSS's than I did for 18" PS's years ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had contis on a c300 - good a bit noisier than these. I've been a BFR fan of late. These are one size up from spec. A little grabby on the rut rolls, but used to it.

225/45ZR-18 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 XL front
255/40ZR-18 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 XL rear

Attachments

·
Kirk
52 Posts
I bought my 2007 3.0i last Oct. and it still had the original runflats with only 23k miles. They rode noisy and were hard as a rock. I bought Bridgestone Potenza's at Costco for a decent price and I have been very happy with them. Smooth, quiet ride, and so far great grip even in rain. But I haven't really pushed them too much and this is my first Z4 so I have nothing to compare to but the 11 year old run flats.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bought my 2007 3.0i last Oct. and it still had the original runflats with only 23k miles. They rode noisy and were hard as a rock. I bought Bridgestone Potenza's at Costco for a decent price and I have been very happy with them. Smooth, quiet ride, and so far great grip even in rain. But I haven't really pushed them too much and this is my first Z4 so I have nothing to compare to but the 11 year old run flats.
I'm also giving the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 PPs from Costco a try; getting them installed next week. Coming from Hankook Ventus V12s that gave me almost 25k miles (rears finally wore down)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've nearly 13k miles and can hardly see wear so far.
nice, I like the sound of this! I only put at best 3.5k miles/yr on my Z4 so the tires should last a long time then

·
Registered
233 Posts
nice, I like the sound of this! I only put at best 3.5k miles/yr on my Z4 so the tires should last a long time then
Bridgestone Potenzas installed, so far so good with the initial run. Had forgotten how much I like that new tire feel :thumbup:

·
Kirk
52 Posts
After about 8 months of a wide variety of driving I have to say I love them. Great grip in all conditions, smooth riding and quiet on all but the most rough roads. New tires are a joy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts