BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
always learning...
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to the dealer when I get back from a short trip, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this problem in the meantime:

Turn on the car, I get a red car-on-lift symbol. Car runs normally. But the brake light in the instrument cluster stays lit up in red, and I notice that the OBC's mileage remaining for front and rear brakes shows three dashes (---) instead of miles. Brakes feel 100% normal.

I very recently had rear pads replaced, so my first thought is that something's wrong with the wear sensor. Not sure that explains the lack of a value for front brakes in the OBC, though.

I appreciate any insight!

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
I'm heading to the dealer when I get back from a short trip, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this problem in the meantime:

Turn on the car, I get a red car-on-lift symbol. Car runs normally. But the brake light in the instrument cluster stays lit up in red, and I notice that the OBC's mileage remaining for front and rear brakes shows three dashes (---) instead of miles. Brakes feel 100% normal.

I very recently had rear pads replaced, so my first thought is that something's wrong with the wear sensor. Not sure that explains the lack of a value for front brakes in the OBC, though.

I appreciate any insight!
There are two pad wear sensors: one on the left front outside pad, and one on the right rear inside pad. It's basically a filament with some material around it, and over time with heat it degrades. The idea is that when it gets too close to the rotor the material will melt and the filament will break.

That's what causes the light. It's possible when the pads were replaced last time, the shop (if it wasn't the dealer) neglected to replace these pad wear sensors. You have to replace them every time you get the brakes done, even if the sensor hasn't tripped yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts