BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I tell someone that I ordered a red BMW, the predictable next comment is, "Oh, you know red cars get pulled over and ticketed more".

Sooo I just tell them:
In reality it's a little known fact that unlike other colors, red paint is extremely smooth and is known to completely overcome any air resistance inherent in a car's design. Red also has an optical quality which allows the car to physically slice through photonic resistance more easily. All this in addition to the fact that red pigment weighs 78% less than any other color. All of these properties give red cars an almost unwieldy performance boost over cars with other colors. Hence, it is naturally more difficult for drivers who are red-pigmently-challenged to control the speed of a red car as compared to cars with performance limiting colors. However, I'm personally not worried about this because I'm a highly skilled driver, trained professionally in RPP, (Red Paint Performance). I can easily reign in the frightening speed afforded by the red pigment.

Please people, I know what I'm doing here in choosing red, I'm a trained professional for heaven's sake! So remember, friends don't let friends drive red cars (unless they're professionally trained).

So there! I feel much better.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
jraymond said:
Every time I tell someone that I ordered a red BMW, the predictable next comment is, "Oh, you know red cars get pulled over and ticketed more".

Sooo I just tell them:
In reality it's a little known fact that unlike other colors, red paint is extremely smooth and is known to completely overcome any air resistance inherent in a car's design. Red also has an optical quality which allows the car to physically slice through photonic resistance more easily. All this in addition to the fact that red pigment weighs 78% less than any other color. All of these properties give red cars an almost unwieldy performance boost over cars with other colors. Hence, it is naturally more difficult for drivers who are red-pigmently-challenged to control the speed of a red car as compared to cars with performance limiting colors. However, I'm personally not worried about this because I'm a highly skilled driver, trained professionally in RPP, (Red Paint Performance). I can easily reign in the frightening speed afforded by the red pigment.

Please people, I know what I'm doing here in choosing red, I'm a trained professional for heaven's sake! So remember, friends don't let friends drive red cars (unless they're professionally trained).

So there! I feel much better.
Some people actually believe you too!!. Reminds me of when I asked an ex girlfriend if she could check my blinker fluid when I was filling up with gas.:lmao: :lmao: :thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Red Car Rant

dredmo said:
Some people actually believe you too!!. Reminds me of when I asked an ex girlfriend if she could check my blinker fluid when I was filling up with gas.:lmao: :lmao: :thumbup:
HeHe good one!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Very funny. When I was a teen and totally car-crazed, my neighbor was into Corvettes - he got a new one every year. He never had a red one, and I told him I thought he should get a red Vette. His reply: everyone should have one red convertible in his life - I've already had mine. Pretty good advice - I've had 2 bright red cars, including a Triumph Spitfire.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm on my forth red car...In college I had a red Fiat 850 spyder. Late 80's I had a fire engine red Daytona Shelby Z, and I just got rid of a red A6 for my red 325xi..

Iwas pulled over once for speeding in the A6, but it was very late at night, no way the trooper saw it as a "red" car at first. And was pulled over once in the Daytona Z down in Richmond VA where I was deffinatly targeted by the cop. I was in the middle lane of a three lane highway doing about 10 over the limit. But I was being passed by cars on both sides of me, yet I got the speeding ticket.

That was the only time I felt "targeted" for driving a red car, or maybe it was the NJ plates in Virginia.??? (he did look for a detector!)

Current ride below.....

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
All I can say is that, when I had the car in my sig, I got pulled over a lot more than I do now. And, for better or worse, I do not actually drive any slower now than I did then.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
nate328Ci said:
You alreadey get targeted because it's a BMW, red just makes it more obvious :(
I think a lot of it is dependent upon the State and particular region of that State that you are talking about. I had the exact same car in TD's sig, and I blitzed the heck out of it on a regular basis. But in the state (CA) and area I commuted in BMW's were as prevalent as Honda's. I never so much as sniffed a ticket.

When I did wander out of State to places like Oregon, Washington, Utah and Colorado I was no where near as aggressive until I had a chance to gauge what I could reasonably get away with.

So I don't think you can just generalize and say that because it's a BMW and red to boot you're a ticket waiting to happen. I do believe that it does significantly improve the law of averages, but it's not necessarily a fait accompli.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must agree it depends on the area you live in. I for one and not too concerned about my red car sticking out. I live in a backward country setting were most cars are red -- from rust! :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've run into the exact same thing. I have a red 330Ci on order and just about everyone I tell says the same thing. But I've never had a red sports car before and the time is right for me to get one. Next on the list will be a convertible. (Z4 in 3 years!) :thumbup:

However I think Nate is closer to the truth. In the 3 years that I have had the steel blue 323i I have gotten 3 speeding tickets. Compare this to the 4 years that I had the Civic 2-door EX where I had none. And I believe (IMHO) my driving habits have actually gotten better with age. :dunno:

A little off topic now... What I really find interesting is the reaction by other drivers to the car. I've found that other drivers will have a tendancy to become more aggresive if I pass them on the highway or pull up to them at a traffic light. I'll be crusing along at 75 in a 65 when a car I passed a mile ago is all of a sudden behind me. I'll just over and let him/her by with a smile. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GimpyMcFarlan said:
A little off topic now... What I really find interesting is the reaction by other drivers to the car. I've found that other drivers will have a tendancy to become more aggresive if I pass them on the highway or pull up to them at a traffic light. I'll be crusing along at 75 in a 65 when a car I passed a mile ago is all of a sudden behind me. I'll just over and let him/her by with a smile. :D
Good point and good advice. :angel:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
The $64 question though is do red BMW's have clearcoat?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Devil made me do it. :angel:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts