BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all

I am new to the forum. I have had my 59 plat BMW 1 series since March this year (and absolutely love it)

I have a slight "issue" where the Red oil light will come on once I have slowed down or stopped after a journey whereby I have travelled on a motorway or A road, say I have travelled 30+ miles and then come to a standstill or slow down considerably.

Once I stop the car and the engine automatically switches off and then on again as I commence driving the red light does not appear again IF I then speed up or drive quicker. It will come on again however (sometimes) if I crawl along.

The red light does not come on, on small journeys at all.

The car runs very well, and this problem has been going on for about 6 weeks. I must add this problem does not happen every journey. I drive 65 miles for work at the moment 4 days a week and I would say that the light issue occurs 75% of the time.

There are several post similar to mine, but not the same. Any thoughts welcome please?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Stating the obvious.. Have you checked your oil level?
Next.. The oil level sensor or pressure sensor could be faulty!
Visually check for any oil leaks.
Check radiator (when cold) to see if there is any oiliness in the coolant. It come to the top!
Have it checked by BMW garage as this could be serious and they should be able to come up with a code that will lead you to the problem.
RegardZ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stating the obvious.. Have you checked your oil level?
Next.. The oil level sensor or pressure sensor could be faulty!
Visually check for any oil leaks.
Check radiator (when cold) to see if there is any oiliness in the coolant. It come to the top!
Have it checked by BMW garage as this could be serious and they should be able to come up with a code that will lead you to the problem.
RegardZ.
Thank you for getting back to me

I have checked the electronic gauge and it says oil is fine. I have no dipstick but today I shall buy some oil and put it in and see.

1) Never any leaks on the ground when parked up (I have had the bonnet up) it does not look like anything under the bonnet is not as is should be

2) Yes, I will go and have it diagnosed.

Last night on the way home no light at all, this morning had the light come on once when slowed down on the M11 and it did not come on even when in stop start traffic through London

I "think" without proper diagnosis that it is just a sensor fault bu 100% agree this is not something that can continue.

Genuinely really appreciative of your help on this one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts