BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was hoping some one could help me with a car problem?
I recently bought a bmw 118I sport, 2010 registration.
It had done 80k miles, one previous owner and has a full service history.
It drives beautifully, no noises, all good.
I don’t drive much but I recently took a trip, and on the way back, having driven for 90 miles the red oil light came on. Not knowing what this meant I carried on happily as I was only a few miles from home. Next time I drove the car, about a week later, driving the same trip, the red light came on again but not until I had driven the same distance as previously, about 90 miles. Again I carried on driving the few miles to get home, and the car sounded fine.
I now know this was the oil pressure light, which should have meant ‘stop now’, but as I did not, and the car was fine, do I have a faulty gauge or an engine problem? There are no weird noises coming from the engine and when I start the car again, the light does not come on. The digital dip stick says I have the right amount of oil in the car.
I’m booked in at a bmw garage on the 11th Jan, but have a few errands to run before then, do you think the car is safe to drive?
Thanks!

· Registered
17,510 Posts
Yes, red means stop. But, faulty sensors or wires are usually the problem. If you really had no oil pressure, you'd normally be hearing horrible noises from the engine and it would quickly break something inside the engine.

But, you're taking a big risk driving it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.