BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Le Plaisir de Conduire
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at the 3 Across America at the Boston Westin Copley last night and I realized that the US E90 has RED turn signals in the rear??? Ken Bracht, the 3 Series NA manager, told us that BMW NA thought it looked better than the tail-lights cluster with the amber turn signal area of the European model.

For some reason, I am bothered by the red turn signals in the rear of the E90. Am I the only one?

Attachments

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
FrenchBoy said:
I was at the 3 Across America at the Boston Westin Copley last night and I realized that the US E90 has RED turn signals in the rear??? Ken Bracht, the 3 Series NA manager, told us that BMW NA thought it looked better then the tail-lights cluster with the amber turn signal area of the European model.

For some reason, I am bothered by the red turn signals in the rear of the E90. Am I the only one?
That is a little disturbing...but do they still blink amber?

One thing that I really dislike in the US is the fact that blinkers can be amber or red. To me the amber leaves no doubt that a car is turning and a car isn't just taping its brakes.

·
Le Plaisir de Conduire
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Desertnate said:
That is a little disturbing...but do they still blink amber?
That's what bothers me... They blink RED :thumbdwn:

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
yes, but how long before there are clears available? I mean, there WILL be an incarnation of an E90 performance package......:p

·
2,457 Posts
FrenchBoy said:
That's what bothers me... They blink RED :thumbdwn:
I could have sworn I read about them blinking amber, even though the lens is red. :dunno: Did you get to see them blink?

·
Le Plaisir de Conduire
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LarryN said:
I could have sworn I read about them blinking amber, even though the lens is red. :dunno: Did you get to see them blink?
Larry, I did turn the hazard lights on to check the color out and they do blink red. I actually specifically asked Ken Bracht about it...

Of course, in Europe they will blink amber (red is illegal there)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can see the Black Line lights are going to sell very well then

The red part is darker than normal and the top part is grey

·
2,457 Posts
FrenchBoy said:
Larry, I did turn the hazard lights on to check the color out and they do blink red. I actually specifically asked Ken Bracht about it...

Of course, in Europe they will blink amber (red is illegal there)
Oooh. Gotcha. Maybe I read about a EU version previously. I wonder if people are going to think I'm giving them an intermittent half-of-a-brakejob now, with it blinking red? ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
FrenchBoy said:
...the tail-lights cluster with the amber turn signal area of the European model.
But all the European E90 photos I have seen to date also have the red lense over the turn signal. Do they actually blink amber?

·
Registered
171 Posts
epc said:
But all the European E90 photos I have seen to date also have the red lense over the turn signal. Do they actually blink amber?
They have to by law

The spy pic shots of cars on the road showed the blinked amber

·
Le Plaisir de Conduire
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the attached photo of a EU model, you can see the the plastic surrounding the turn signal area is red while the turn signal area itself is amber.

Attachments

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
In the Euro spec the lens is red, but it blinks amber.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Since the lense is faily clear, I wonder what affect an amber bulb would have...some nasty orange color, or something closer to an amber.

Anything to keep from looking like you are mearly applying the brakes and have a tail light not working right. :tsk:

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Mathew said:
The E46 in the US is red/clear and blinks amber.
Post face lift maybe, or with the clear kits, but my pre-facelift car has amber lenses.

·
2,457 Posts
Desertnate said:
Post face lift maybe, or with the clear kits, but my pre-facelift car has amber lenses.
Post facelift as well, on the sedan (for sure). There is a orange stripe on the rear tail lights on my '02.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had asked this exact question on bimmer.org. Answer I got there was they look red but blink amber. Personally, I'm appalled that the US gets the red blink version. :mad: New A4 has succumbed to crappy DOT standards as well (revolting). That's a HUGE pet peeve of mine - turn signals need to be AMBER! Front and rear. Why the US allows this is beyond me. Oh well - hopefully swapping out for E-codes won't be difficult. Sounds silly, but I will not purchase a car without side flashers & amber rear turn signals.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts