BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got the car from Staten Island home to North Carolina, fun drive, 27MPG, but there are issues, mostly bodywork. (1994 convertible 318ic, red, pictures later)
On acceleration in second gear there is this terrible hammering noise coming from the drive tunnel area. The car just had a new clutch installed. Is it possible that something did not get put back correctly? The exhaust is firm but I can get a little movement and a noise similar to my problem. I don't see anything obviously wrong underneath.
At some point the car got very wet. The spare cavity has rust marks about halfway up. The jack and tools are junk. The carpets are damp. The PO is uninformative. Should I pull the interior and the carpets or just let it dry out?
The windows are not working right, but I think I know whats up there.
The leather is terrible. Are any of the kits on eBay decent? Do we have a good vendor?
I need a door panel. Do other years fit?
The lug nuts are unmovable! I have cracked two sockets trying to get them off. I will be looking for a 6pt 17mm impact socket unless someone has a better idea. I have sprayed some Kroil to try and work them loose.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
PB Blaster (The foaming kind) works wonders. Also, have you tries the standard 6 point BMW tire iron? add another bar for leverage, just don't break the lug or you're replacing more than you want to. The other option is to ask really nicely at a local shop for them to just R&R them for you. Slightly underhanded, but there are shops here that will do a "Free" brake inspection. FOr them to inspect the brakes, the wheels must come off...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PB Blaster (The foaming kind) works wonders. Also, have you tries the standard 6 point BMW tire iron? add another bar for leverage, just don't break the lug or you're replacing more than you want to.****
I use PB Blaster as a lube since the Friction Free 3000 spray went off the market. Kroil, from Kano Labs is an industrial strength penetrant. That with a new 6 point impact socket with a 24" breaker bar got them off. I will be crawling under today to explore the 2nd gear noise. This noise _does_ sound like a jackhammer.
"bang, bang, bang ,bang"

·
Hellawut??
14,551 Posts
I use PB Blaster as a lube since the Friction Free 3000 spray went off the market. Kroil, from Kano Labs is an industrial strength penetrant. That with a new 6 point impact socket with a 24" breaker bar got them off. I will be crawling under today to explore the 2nd gear noise. This noise _does_ sound like a jackhammer.
"bang, bang, bang ,bang"
bang bang bang? i have info on this.... check your carrier bearing.. ill draw you a picture of what happened to mine. this is what was causing me this bang bang bang... and it was only in second gear... little in thrid...

picture time.. ill edit it in.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I wish we could have a lawsuit. My subframe was ripped out when I bought my car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bang bang bang? i have info on this.... check your carrier bearing.. ill draw you a picture of what happened to mine. this is what was causing me this bang bang bang... and it was only in second gear... little in thrid...
picture time.. ill edit it in.
Looks very believable to me. I will dig under tomorrow,today was strip out the remains of the rusted out battery box - there are none, basically. The good news is one substantial angle bracket for the rear of the battery should do it. The rest is non-structural to keep out the water. My local HVAC shop should be able to make a nice galvanized box for me. Don't do this in aluminum, guys.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bang bang bang? i have info on this.... check your carrier bearing.. ill draw you a picture of what happened to mine.
Just got out from under. The center carrier is fine, the flex coupling, nasty looking. I'll replace that.
I also need all four shocks.
Pelican or EAC, which is preferred?

·
OEM Hoe....
1,828 Posts
I had excellent experience with the Pelican parts people- they had above average customer service. :thumbup:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
No experience with EAC, but Pelican is a great company. Highly recommended. :thumbup:

Glad you got the lug bolts off. I broke a f*cking lug wrench on my Jaguar when the PO had let it rust on there. Twisted up like a pretzel (damn hollow extending lug wrenches....stupid design).

If the carpets are damp, might not be a bad idea to pull everything if you have the time and desire to go to that much work (and a spare car). Might wanna check that the heater core isn't dumping coolant into your interior.

I doubt any of the kits on eBay are worth their shipping charges. Your best bet is to watch craigslist/eBay/forums for some OEM seats in decent shape and pick those up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts