Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the Tranny fluid in my newly acquired '00 MCoupe. I have a couple of bottles of Rdline MT-90 left.

Any experiences with MT-90?

Also how what is the fluid capacity of the tranny?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I use Red Line MTL

I use Red Line MTL in my transmission for daily street driving and a 50/50 blend of MTL and MT-90 for track driving. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use MT-90 in your warm southern California climate. Send Red Line an email and ask their opinion.
BTW, you'll need two quarts for your transmission as it holds 1.6 quarts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I have 3 bottles left. I was using it in the S2000 tranny and it worked fine for street and track. I'm sure my car will see several track days this year. I will give it a try. My tranny shifts a bit notchy and I'm hoping the Redline will make it a little better.

·
866 Posts
silversprint said:
I need to change the Tranny fluid in my newly acquired '00 MCoupe. I have a couple of bottles of Rdline MT-90 left.

Any experiences with MT-90?

Also how what is the fluid capacity of the tranny?

I've had MT-90 in mine for about 4 or 5 months. It smoothed out almost all of the notchiness I had in the 6 speed tranny I installed. From this limited experience, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the tranny fluid to MT-90 yesterday. Shifting is improved. The old fluid was a nasty dark gray color. It was as thin as water and drained out very quickly.

The tranny took more fluid than I expected. I used about 1.7 liters. I may have slightly overfilled the tranny but it shouldn't be a big deal.

After a 100 mile drive today. I noticed the tranny is quiter, shifts smoother (specially into 5th and reverse). The tranny also runs cooler. The base of the gear shift did not get as warm as it did before.

I'll have to see if the shifting stays smooth or degrades overtime.

·
866 Posts
silversprint said:
I'll have to see if the shifting stays smooth or degrades overtime.
Mine seems to have gotten smoother and smoother. Hopefully it's not the calm before the storm. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts