Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TecAccessories.com, Cup-Holders.com, and UltimateCupHolders.com

Many people have posted questions on various boards about broken cup holders. Once my E38 was out of warranty, and since day one of the E39, I have not used the factory can holders. They just are not made for normal daily use and they are not cheap to replace or repair.

(I even broke a Z4 can holder on a test drive! Don't think my dealer liked that!)

Here are three aftermarket cup holders with which I have had some time to use. I am too short for the position of the Ultimate Cup Holder, but don't get me wrong... people seem to really like it alot.

Personally, I have the TecAccessories on in the E39 and the Cup-Holders.com one in the E38, and I have been very happy with both of them. No offense to those who have liked or disliked any of these, just some ideas for those shoppping for an alternative to the stock can holders. :)

See more information about each one on their web site links below.

TecAccessories.com

$89 + about $8 shipping. They may still offer a BMWCCA member discount.

Pros: High quality with a lifetime warranty for defects, completely folds away into center console storage and roll down door closes. I don't find this interferes with the gear shift, but some have made that complaint. Very nice to be able to hide it.

Cons: Only holds one cup. Takes up storage area. Some have said spirited driving can be hazardous, but I slide the center arm rest forward against the cup if I need additional support. A little pricey.

Here's mine in the E39 with a metal coffee tumbler:

Cup-Holders.com

$68 to $78 depending on your needs. They may still offer a BMWCCA member discount.

Pros: Solid construction, holds two cups (unless you get the giant cup version), holds cup(s) firmly in place and has velcro straps in case you need additional support. Nice match to interior trim. Model available for back seat passengers. I find this cup holder very easy to use and I have had no spills.

Cons: Does not retract or hide, takes up storage area and covers ash tray. I found the extra storage slot is not very useful and would buy the plain one if I had to replace it.

Front, normal:

Front: single large:

Front, normal... with accessory slot or without:

Here's mine in the E38:
(With Infinity BassLink volume control attached, comes with foam padding to protect wood console.)

UltimateCupHolders.com

$24.99 + $5 shipping

Pros: Sits low away from console (in the event of spillage), does not interfere with storage, gear shift, or parking brake. Can be adjusted to accomodate various size cups. Lower price so you can buy a pair.

Cons: Can be very hard to reach cup for (us) shorter drivers. (I would suggest checking how much room you have between your leg and the steering wheel before buying, or how easily you can reach the floor by your leg.) Does not hide or retract, some have said they thought it looked 'cheap.' (I have not read very many posts from people who were unhappy with this product.)

(Prices and web site address subject to change.)

Personal experiences with other models? Feel free to add to the thread! :)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Sweet! Excellent post.

This is a superb example of the kinds of posts that belong in the DIY section.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
655 Posts
For the cupholder cross-reference record ...

a) This "5-Series DIY -> Front cupholder" thread explains how to remove the existing E39 cupholders ( http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92045 ).

b) This "5-Series DIY -> A few thoughts on aftermarket cupholders" thread covers some of the cupholders discussed here, and then some ( http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95954 ).

c) This "5-Series -> Cupholders on the 2005 5 series" thread covers all that I found out prior to these two articles above ( http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85935 ).

I post these cross-reference links only to make the next Bimmerfest user's life easier as they research cupholder removal and replacement options.
Note: If I cut and paste these links they work; but not if I click (go figure).

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Raumfunktionales!
61 Posts
Don't forget about this one

Here's a link to the Bell automotive air vent drink holder. http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/product_details.asp?id=22475

Discard the included vent attachment hardware and it is a perfect friction fit into the center console storage cubby hole. I think I paid $5.99 at Pep Boys. It holds either a can of soda or a regular 16 oz. bottle of water. Yeah, its not as elegant as the other solutions but it sure is inexpensive and extremely functional. :thumbup:

-Eric
99 540iT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.