Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disconnected the passenger side hose off the thermostat and had an o-ring and a plastic ferule tumble out. Neither of these came with the new thermostat, are in good repair, so I'll reuse them. I'm having trouble refitting the hose on to the new thermostat. I put the ferule on first (tapered side facing away from the thermostat), o-ring next, line up the grooves, and...nadda. Any suggestions?

·
Society of the 7's East
736 Posts
Hmmm ferule. I just slipped on the o-ring and pushed the hose on the thermostat outlet. I did notice a ferule. Once the spring clip was pushed back down into place to lock the hose the job was done. take a pix of ferule. Make sure that clip is pulled away from the hose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a snap of the plumbing on the old thermostat. The ferule looks like it is a part of the hose itself. It also looks like it had a bit of glue on the outer edge to the hose.

Attachments

·
Playing Mechanic At Home
895 Posts
Hmmmm, i know you have a different year than mine, I just replaced thermo, wp and all the hoses. Didnt have anything like that on mine. My hoses just attached right to the thermo housing and clamped down. Interesting...

·
Playing Mechanic At Home
895 Posts
so in doing some last minute checks. My water manifold at the back of the engine that goes to the heater setup, uses a bypass tube. AKA , i have no heater in the car right now. Which is fine being in florida. However, the bypass hose that was used, before i bought the car, is torn and cracked and i actually didnt like the way it was kinked to begin with. So i went to by a new hose to bypass the heater core with. What a bitch to find one of these damn things.. Onto NAPA after work, those guys seem to know their **** better than Autozone...

Nothing is ever easy is it. I WILL CONQUER this . LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking that it (the ferrule) is an artifact of the hose, a bit that has come unglued. Nothing that a new hose won't remedy.

·
Playing Mechanic At Home
895 Posts
thats what i was thinking as well. As long as you have the correct hose, it should fit right on their and then just clamp it down nice and tight. Should be fine...

·
Society of the 7's East
736 Posts
Absolutely part of the plastic connector at the ends of the hose. Seemed to have ripped away upon removal. Time can cement these things together. I had to pry mine off to. I do have the same year and nothing came away from my hose. There is just the O-ring in the plastic connector. Yours look as if the O-ring and the plastic stayed on the inlet.

So to answer your question, do not put that plastic back on and the o-ring goes INSIDE the plastic connector in the groove that is meant for it. I would not trust re-using this o-ring in the picture.

P.S. you will never get the connector on the inlet pipe of the thermostat if the locking clip is not pulled up. Once assembled push it back down to lock.

ou18, he has a spring clip that needs to be clicked down into place once the hose is one. That is why you can see those grooves on the inlet of the thermostat housing. There are no clamps that tighten with a screwdriver.

·
Playing Mechanic At Home
895 Posts
Ldarn somdthing new everyday...my hoses just fit right over it. And put a clamp on it..guess different years some different parts...

Sent from my SGH-I777 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Society of the 7's East
736 Posts
Ldarn somdthing new everyday...my hoses just fit right over it. And put a clamp on it..guess different years some different parts...

Sent from my SGH-I777 using BimmerApp mobile app
This is reflected in the price of the hoses with the connectors. My radiator hoses were $85.00! Didn't have a core exchange program.

·
Playing Mechanic At Home
895 Posts
Ouch, those are expensive hoses... Thank god for my 97 and cheap replacement parts, even when using OEM...which pretty much this entire project was OEM replacements...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Disconnected the passenger side hose off the thermostat and had an o-ring and a plastic ferule tumble out. Neither of these came with the new thermostat, are in good repair, so I'll reuse them. I'm having trouble refitting the hose on to the new thermostat. I put the ferule on first (tapered side facing away from the thermostat), o-ring next, line up the grooves, and...nadda. Any suggestions?
Replace the hose. The 'O' ring is part of the hose and is held in place by the tapered ferrule. The one in your picture is definitely not suitable for re-use and even if you could get it to fit back into the hose connector, it will prevent proper seating on the thermostat.

When refitting hoses, it's a good idea to use a swipe of silicone-based lubricant (NOT petroleum jelly, which will cause the 'O' ring to soften and swell) around the inside of the connection; the spring clip can be left in its proper place and will simply expand and click into the locating groove on the spigot when the hose is pushed fully home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts