Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***Mod's happy for you to move this, but please read first txs***

So, I wondered where to put this, I want to really get some opinions on "general car audio" and how things have changed on newer models.

So, on every car I ever had, my first moves was to, change/upgrade the battery, rip out the factory stereo and speakers and re-do everything.

Nowadays, factory ICE (in car entertainment) is all built in and TBH on my 1'er to my ears is very good, including the uploading via USB, On my old porsche, I was still rocking a mutli-changer with a cassette tape, I have over 400 DJ-mix tapes. Before that I dabbled with an MD disc changer.

I loved it, putting in better power cable, getting ideas from car magazines, amps, eq's better head units etc.

I even removed (before I left the UK) my old changer, didn't install it in the Neon but on getting the BMW realized I couldn't.

So I understand we can upgrade our stuff, better speakers etc. but as per an all-out ICE build, on newer cars doeskin seem warranted OR even possible.

I mean on a car with no guarantee, no ones gonna say anything, on the BMW, I was told, certain things are possible, but if it's messed up by a 3rd party then wave bye bye to that.
and though now out of warantee , not comfortable to cut into things in case I blow a computer or something

Also on resale, I've learned people want a clean un-modded car. or even a trade-in right

On cars say 2012 > with more computers, fiber optics etc etc , your not just going to be able to splice things in.

So, that all said, any words of wisdom or wanna wax lyrical about your old builds ?

Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts
The newest car that I have replaced the radio in was my wife's old 1995 Le Baron convertible. It was to get the CD player. Both of our newer vehicles (2000 Durango and 2004 330Ci convertible) have steering wheel audio controls. That's something I'm not going to monkey around with. The Dodge also has a body computer that stores radio presets if the battery is disconnected. I think the BMW stores radio presets, as well. Long term, low end replacement stereos may go the way of the dinosaur. I do wish that I could find inexpensive 2 ohm 5-1/4" low-mids though as the speakers in the Dodge are blown. My understanding is that the BMW speakers are also 2 ohm and the same size. I need to head out to a yard to see if they will fit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think you will find it is difficult to replace the head unit, as it is integrated with too much stuff in the car. However, in my case I added an Alpine PDX 5 channel and changed out the front components. BTW, there are fairly easy kits that allow you to maintain your steering wheel controls. Watch 5 Star Audio, I did and was easily able to change out the factory head unit in my Porsche.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,470 Posts
Ever notice how good you sound singing in the shower? That***8217;s because of the size and resonance of the enclosure, like a well designed speaker enclosure for your voice. A car is the same, similar volume, similar absorbing and reflecting fractions. My audio mentor was Leonard Gibbs of Charleston, SC (not ***8220;Doc***8221; Gibbs).

I held out for analog and vinyl audio up to BA SDA-1 and a kilowatt per channel. Now my hearing aids are good enough in my X5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts